cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOM Server Issues

dwmarsh
Level 3

All -

I have loaded the Authentication and Authorization services on my Master Server (Windows 20033) and and updated everything to 6.5.4 and it all seemed to load correctly.  Not really sure how to check to ensure the two services are atually working correctly.  The GUI doesn't show any errors.

Now, I have a brand new Windows 2003 server that I loaded netBackup client and NOM on and updated both to 6.5.4 via LiveUpdate.  The install went smoothly as far as I can tell, but for some reason the NOM Web Console Service won't start.  When I boot the server, the following services start:

NetBackup Client Service
NOM Database Server
Symantec PBX
Symantec Web Server

The NOM Server doesn't start automatically even though it's set to "Automatic" in Services.  I can start it manually with no problem (except in Event Viewer I get the Java error below).  Then, when I try to manually start the NOM Web Console Service, it starts and immediately dies.  When it dies, it takes the NOM Server service with it.

When booting I get two errors in the Application Event Viewer:

VRTSweb - VCRTSnomWeb service failed to start
VRTSnomSrvr - Java VM exited with a code of 12, the service is stopped

I installed Java 1.5.0.12 on the server.  If I double-click on the NOM Server in the Services list, it gives me options for logging on.  Right now it's set to Local System Account but I still get the Java VM error when trying to start the service.

I'm not really sure where to start to find out what's going on and get NOM up and running.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

- Dale

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dwmarsh
Level 3

Here is what I did.  Maybe this will help others.

1) Completely rebuilt my server from scratch.  It is a virtual machine, so that was easy.
2) Install Java
3) Install Symantec Authorization Client (server is already installed on my Master Server)
4) Install Symantec Authentication Client
5) Start the Authorization Client GUI
   - Establish a Trust between the Master Server (broker) and the client
   - Connect to Authorization Server (add user root)
6) Install Veritas NetBackup Client
7) Install Veritas NetBackup Operations Manager

Hopefully I didn't miss any steps.  I am now able to log into the NOM server using the admin account and default password and the default domain.

Thanks to all for the help.

- Dale

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Abesama
Level 6
Partner

It was older version, years ago, different java error code but sounds similar, especially it's Windows based.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/nom-server-service-exit-code-7

That post and it's comments do not really look promising.

I suggest this.

1. Uninstall everything from the NOM server - client, NOM, PBX, Java.
2. Reboot the server.
3. Install Java.
4. Install client, update to mp4 without liveupdate.
5. Install PBX.
6. install NOM, update to mp4 without liveupdate.

Does not sound like VxAT/VxAZ auth issues there, because NOM service has to start before it tries to connect to master (or, even before you put the master server's name in NOM GUI)

Abe

dwmarsh
Level 3

...before but it didn't seem to offer any help.

I'll try your suggestion to see how far I get.

Thanks.

- Dale

dwmarsh
Level 3

I uninstalled everything and then reinstalled in this order:

Java 1.5.0.12

Reboot

NetBackup Client 6.5
Upgrade to 6.5.2A, 6.5.3, 6.5.3.1, 6.5.4
Netbackup Operations Manager 6.5
Upgrade to 6.5.2A, 6.5.3, 6.5.4

Upon reboot, I still get the following errors:

VRTSnomSrvr - Java VM exited with a code of 12, the service is stopped
VRTSweb - VCRTSnomWeb service failed to start

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
& maybe want to save a bit of time ;)

From List of links to the Veritas NetBackup (tm) Enterprise Server 6.5.4 Release Update downloads

"...
The 6.5.4 Release Updates listed below requires 6.5 GA be installed before installation. The release updates are cumulative and do not require the application of the previous release update. For example, a customer running 6.5.GA can apply the 6.5.4 release updates directly, there is no need to apply 6.5.1/6.5.2 in order to move to the 6.5.4 level.
...."

As far as your NOM issue is concerned tho' I'm afraid I can't help ( :( )unless the following TN which I also came across is at all relevant (doubtful as you made no mention to having VBR)?

DOCUMENTATION: The Veritas NetBackup Operations Manager and the Veritas Backup Reporter should not b...

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
I am not NOM user but when i was searching with this error some links said its problem with port allocation.

Just gave u a hint :)

dwmarsh
Level 3

I noticed in one troubleshooting document that I needed to install the Product Authentication Services client.  Once I did that, I started my browser and connected to the https port and got access to the NOM login screen!

Ok... but I don't get a list of Domains.

Here are the services after a reboot:

NOM Alert Manager: Not started
NOM Database Server: Started
NOM Server: Not started (still getting that Java error)
NOM Web Console Service: Started
Symantec PBX: Started
Symantec Web Server: Started

So it looks like I need to solve the NOM Server startup issue before I can get everything working right. 

Thanks for all the help so far.

- Dale

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
... I presume you've had a look thru' the NOM Admin Guide more than a few times?

Just thinking about installation requirements etc.

Also from same:

"...
Dependency of services
The NOM server service is dependent on the following services (processes) running. If you stop any of these services, then the NOM server will also stop.
■ NOM database server
■ NOM alert manager
■ Symantec Product Authentication Service
■ Symantec Private Branch Exchange
..."

... noticed that your Alert Manager(vxamd.exe) isn't running & you didn't say whether the Prod.Auth.Serv was running (vxatd.exe)

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
the Product Authentication Services client has to be install FIRST!

then you can do the rest of the install.

dwmarsh
Level 3

... I think I remember seeing that in the documentation.  But since I installed that stuff on my Master Server, I didn't think I needed it on the NOM server.  I guess I was wrong.  I guess I need the client on there.

So, I'm starting over.  I'll post again when I have redone it all.

Thanks.

- Dale

dwmarsh
Level 3

Here is what I did.  Maybe this will help others.

1) Completely rebuilt my server from scratch.  It is a virtual machine, so that was easy.
2) Install Java
3) Install Symantec Authorization Client (server is already installed on my Master Server)
4) Install Symantec Authentication Client
5) Start the Authorization Client GUI
   - Establish a Trust between the Master Server (broker) and the client
   - Connect to Authorization Server (add user root)
6) Install Veritas NetBackup Client
7) Install Veritas NetBackup Operations Manager

Hopefully I didn't miss any steps.  I am now able to log into the NOM server using the admin account and default password and the default domain.

Thanks to all for the help.

- Dale