cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.1 Client on Windows

MikeM11
Level 4

Hi

I have a NetBackup 7.1 installation on Windows and the majority of clients will be Windows.

I have been informed that there is no way to centrally "push" client installations out (a la Backup Exec 12.5).  There seems to be some caveat that if you are running a x64 master/media server and want to push to a x64 client you can do it but is anyone able to elabourate on this at all?

It seems like a step back to have to perform individual client installs from the box.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I believe it is 64 bit to 64 bit and 32bit to 32 bit

Presumably due to the installation paths etc.

So if you have a Remote Admin Console on a 32 bit PC you may be able to push the client to 32 bit clients from there.

Otherwise you can use the unattended installtion routines (silentclient.cmd) included in the PC_Clnt directories to do it.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I believe it is 64 bit to 64 bit and 32bit to 32 bit

Presumably due to the installation paths etc.

So if you have a Remote Admin Console on a 32 bit PC you may be able to push the client to 32 bit clients from there.

Otherwise you can use the unattended installtion routines (silentclient.cmd) included in the PC_Clnt directories to do it.

Hope this helps

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

put your install media on disk.

from your pc start the install and say you want to install to servers on the network

choose the servers and it will push to each one.

or you can use something like system center to push out the update like the windows admins push out windows updates.

austin_lazanows
Level 4
Certified

You can perform remote installations by loading the media on a similar CPU architecture. My recommendation is to open the client install for 64-bit clients on a 64-bit machine that does not already have it installed. You NEED to be logged in to that 64-bit machine as an admin that can communicate to the other clients (since it will be performing push and installation commands). This is in addition to the credentials portion you will enter later. You can either browse for servers or import a list of them or enter them individually. You will be prompted for credentials and you can use ones that will apply to all or not (same with installation directory). Do not try to install to a 32-bit client unless you are running the 32-bit install from a 32-bit machine. 

The other, more simple way, is to use the silentinstall command script (including in the PC_CLNT directory -- choose the correct x86 or x64 binary for that system)and deploy either via powershell or altiris or other software.

Once its installed, I would configure and use liveupdate for all future patches and version upgrades. 

MikeM11
Level 4

Thanks all, that has provided some clarity.

Mike