cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.1 - Inclusion in OS Images

shocko
Level 4

Hi guys,

I'm using the client v 7.1 on most of my Windows servers. I deploy servers from images including the client. Are there any specific steps required to include the client software in these images i.e. do I need to stop the services and delete any registry keys or files? I notice the client name is stored in the registry alright.

Thanks in advance.smiley

12 REPLIES 12

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified

HKLM\Software\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config

As long as your master server, and any media servers are in that list, you shouldn't have any issues.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As well as the Master and Media Servers you are right - the client name must be changed when you deploy an image - after which do a service re-start to register it

After that you should be OK

shocko
Level 4

Thanks guys,

So is the following process sound:

1. Install the client components and specify the master/media servers
  2. Stop all client services
  3. Delete the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\Client_Name" ?
  4. Capture the image

I assume when the service is restarted it will re-populate that registry key with the new client name of the deployed system? Also, i notice the client name appears in the following key also

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\Browser

Thanks in advance.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

on the local client server after you make the new server - start the Backup Archive and Recovery gui (BAR)

go to File - netbackup client properites - and change the Client name - and say ok.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The client name will not automatically populate - you need to enter it manually.

shocko
Level 4

Thanks for the comments guys.

Unfortunately, I need this to be a totally automated build with no manual intervention. Is this possible?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Use the RunOnce key in the registry to run a batch file that adds the Client_Name key using the %computername% variable.

Then, the first time the new build boots it will run the file and populate the registry.

Obviously if you do other things first then it needs running slightly later.

You could even use the Run key so that it makes sure it is correct everytime - and maybe the last stage of your autoated build is to remove that Run key

A couple of options that i hope will help

shocko
Level 4

Thanks Mark_Solutions,

I'll give it a whirl.

PS: Does this mean that once you have the client installed on a server, you cannot rename that server as the cleint will appear in the console with the old name?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

It can cause issues - if you rename a server it is best to rename the NBU client as well - but then just remember that old restores will be based on the old server name.

I did see a case where a server was renamed and client name was not, DNS was also wrong and they ended up backing up the wrong server for a while - very odd but some how it did it.

shocko
Level 4

Hmm, I suprised they dont use a UUID based on hardware components like other software.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Of course if you leave your script in the RUN key it will always keep the client name up to date, even if the server is renamed.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I think you may also need the Browser key so check what your current client have

To make life simple you need 1 file - nbu.bat

Drop it in the System32 directory.

In HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ (or RunOnce)

put in a REG_SZ with a value of nbu.bat

nbu.bat contains:

echo Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00>nbu.reg
echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config]>>nbu.reg
echo "Browser"="%COMPUTERNAME%">>nbu.reg
echo "Client_Name"="%COMPUTERNAME%">>nbu.reg
regedit -s nbu.reg

Hope this helps

#EDIT#

Tag the following at the end of the .bat file:

net stop "NetBackup Client Service"

net start "NetBackup Client Service"