cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.6 Implementation steps.

rova_nbu
Level 4

Hi Guys,

We have arround 400 clients. We planned to have one Master and 2 Media Servers. Master Server will SYM 5330 appliance and 2 SYM 5220 for Media Servers and IBM TS3310 tape library. Can any one give me some instructions to have implementation plan steps.

Thanks,

Frank

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

My initial re-action is that... that seems like a lot of hardware for 400 backup clients.

We never really specify kit based on client count - unless you get into the tens of thousands of clients at which point other issues come in to play.

Anyway, so, normally... on what appears to be a small to low-mid-sized solution... one would expect it to be sized on RPO/RTO and volume plus type of data.

And a SYM5330 is a very capable media server - are you sure you need one of those?

And, I agree with Marianne, when one spends that kind of money, one would expect a very detailed design to have ben done, and the very nature of the design doc should naturally and smoothly lead to the writing/creation of a build and implementation document.

I'm very sorry, but... do you see how this is one of those questions which can never be answered from a two line source question.  It's such a trap.  The only correct thing to do, is to give you a two line answer...

1) Install the hardware

2) Install the software

...and that's about it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If I am not mistaken, a 5330 can only be a media server. Who sold you this solution? Surely you had a design diagram and proposal that explained the solution before you purchased?

sdo

My initial re-action is that... that seems like a lot of hardware for 400 backup clients.

We never really specify kit based on client count - unless you get into the tens of thousands of clients at which point other issues come in to play.

Anyway, so, normally... on what appears to be a small to low-mid-sized solution... one would expect it to be sized on RPO/RTO and volume plus type of data.

And a SYM5330 is a very capable media server - are you sure you need one of those?

And, I agree with Marianne, when one spends that kind of money, one would expect a very detailed design to have ben done, and the very nature of the design doc should naturally and smoothly lead to the writing/creation of a build and implementation document.

I'm very sorry, but... do you see how this is one of those questions which can never be answered from a two line source question.  It's such a trap.  The only correct thing to do, is to give you a two line answer...

1) Install the hardware

2) Install the software

...and that's about it.

sdo

When you say 400 clients... is that 400 customers who are service clients (each with an estate of multiple servers)... or 400 servers that are backup clients?

sdo

And why not v7.7.x?

Did you check the EOL for v7.6.x.x?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I see you had a similar query a couple of months ago : https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/new-backup-design It goes like this : 1. Design 2. Purchase 3. Implement as per design

rova_nbu
Level 4

Hi Marianne , sdo ,

I am sorry for not giving exactly what I needed. Here the design part has been take care by Design team and they already discussed with Symantec and Implement the solution. What I need here that after the Installation of Master and Media Server we have to configure from the scratch. So I need the steps to set up the environment to run the backup. Please advise what are the things to be taken care. I have the below steps.

1. Install the Master and media Server.

2. Establish the communication between Master Media Server.

3. Configure the Backup VLAN

4. Configure the tape library.

5. Configure the Storage devices.

6. Configure the Storage Units (disk and tape).

7. Configure Catalog backup.

8. Configure the Backup policies

9. Configure the clients and run test backup.

Thanks,

Frank