cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Administration Console

snawaz3
Level 6

Hi,

In the NetBackup Administration Console under Media and Device Management I see an entry "1 Pending Request". Also in the Drives Tab in Activity monitor I see one of my drives with a red arrow pointing down. Can somebody explain what this means and how to fix it. To me it seems one of my drives is not working. How can I confirm and fix this. thanks. I have attached screen shots.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

that is the reqeust may be generated for restore, or some other task.,

if you are sure there is no pending tasks you can cancle that.

just right-click and select Deny Request to cancle it.

please read the below tech note and notes for details.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO32688

Managing pending requests and actions
If a tape mount requires a specific volume, the request is displayed in the Pending Requests pane of the Device Monitor window. For example, if NetBackup requires a specific volume for a restore operation, NetBackup loads or requests the volume. The Pending Requests pane appears only ifrequests await action or when NetBackup acts on a request. After all requests have been resolved (automatically by NetBackup or manually by operator intervention), the Pending Requests pane disappears.
If NetBackup cannot service a media-specific mount request automatically, it changes the request or action to a pending state, as follows:
■ Pending requests. When NetBackup cannot move a required volume into a tape drive automatically, NetBackup sets the request status to pending. Operator assistance is required to complete the request, and NetBackup displays the request in the Pending Requests pane. NetBackup assigns pending status to a mount request when it cannot determine which:
-                 Stand-alone drive to use for a job.
-                 Drive in a robot is in AVR mode.
■ Pending actions. A tape mount requests becomes a pending action when the mount operation encounters problems, and the tape cannot be mounted. Operator assistance is required to complete the request, and NetBackup displays an action request in the Pending Requests pane. Pending actions usually occur with drives in robotic libraries.

hope this helps.. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RamNagalla

hi,

it says that the the Drive is down in netbackup level.

so you need to check why the netbackup mark this drive as down..

use below commands to reset and up the drives.

vmoprcmd -reset 0 -h <mediaserver>

vmoprcmd -up 0 -h <meidaserver>

if this does not make your drives up, you need to check in detail why  its getting down.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

In addition to the above reply you should also have a job running witha state listing a pending request - that is the one that relates to the one you see.

It may be a restore job or something that is waiting fo rthe tape to be loaded

To UP a drive you can simily right click it (in the device monitor section) and select Up Drive

But you do need to find out why it went down - check the media logs in the console - try a robtest to see if a tape is stuck in the drive which will prevent it from coming up - if your media server is Windows then look in the Application log as NetBackup will write the exact reason for downing the drive to the event log

Do a few checks and give us a little more information and we should be able to assist further

Hope this helps

snawaz3
Level 6
Strangely the drives came back up. They are green and showing in the up direction. Dont know why. But my concern is still why is there a Request Pending in the Device Monitor at the bottom.(see attached screen shot - Device Monitor.docx). The tape KW6942 is a tape in my off site monthly backup for Dec. Do I need to put that tape in the robot library? Why would it be requesting that tape?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Sort your activity monitor by job state so that active jobs are on top - you should find an active job with a status relating to the mount request - most likely a restore job

As it is dated today it should be fairly recent.

If there is no running job that mentions that tape then just right click on the mount request and select "deny" to clear it down

RamNagalla

hi,

that is the reqeust may be generated for restore, or some other task.,

if you are sure there is no pending tasks you can cancle that.

just right-click and select Deny Request to cancle it.

please read the below tech note and notes for details.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO32688

Managing pending requests and actions
If a tape mount requires a specific volume, the request is displayed in the Pending Requests pane of the Device Monitor window. For example, if NetBackup requires a specific volume for a restore operation, NetBackup loads or requests the volume. The Pending Requests pane appears only ifrequests await action or when NetBackup acts on a request. After all requests have been resolved (automatically by NetBackup or manually by operator intervention), the Pending Requests pane disappears.
If NetBackup cannot service a media-specific mount request automatically, it changes the request or action to a pending state, as follows:
■ Pending requests. When NetBackup cannot move a required volume into a tape drive automatically, NetBackup sets the request status to pending. Operator assistance is required to complete the request, and NetBackup displays the request in the Pending Requests pane. NetBackup assigns pending status to a mount request when it cannot determine which:
-                 Stand-alone drive to use for a job.
-                 Drive in a robot is in AVR mode.
■ Pending actions. A tape mount requests becomes a pending action when the mount operation encounters problems, and the tape cannot be mounted. Operator assistance is required to complete the request, and NetBackup displays an action request in the Pending Requests pane. Pending actions usually occur with drives in robotic libraries.

hope this helps.. 

snawaz3
Level 6
There was a restore job pending in activity monitor. I have tried to cancel the job by right clicking on it and selecting cancel job. It does not seem to be working. Is theer a command line I can use to kill the restore job?

RamNagalla

generally, the pending jobs takes few min to cancle it.

you can use bpdbjobs -cancle <jobid> form command line also

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Just deny the pending tape mount request (right click and deny) this will kill off the job - often the only way to do it

snawaz3
Level 6
Thanks guys. I deny the pending request in device monitor and it killed the job