Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Image Cleanup - exclude things

kml
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

i have A LOT of images with infinite retentions in my NetBackup Catalog and image cleanup takes +20h to finish.

I know i can start it less often but i would like to know if there a way to "exclude" infinite retentions images from the cleanup job ?

Kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

If you have a lot of infinite retentions, then your catalog is just going to keep growing so your image clean up jobs will just get longer too.

How big is the catalog?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH36433

Image cleanup was improved in 7.5 with the metadata being kept in the EMM.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

If you have a lot of infinite retentions, then your catalog is just going to keep growing so your image clean up jobs will just get longer too.

How big is the catalog?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH36433

Image cleanup was improved in 7.5 with the metadata being kept in the EMM.

Marianne
Level 6

I'm with Riaan - how big is this catalog?

If Image Cleanup takes 20 hours - how long does a Catalog backup take?
How often is catalog backup done?
You need to consider how long a catalog restore will take should the master suffer a catastrophic failure.

This may be a good time to have a good look at business needs and distinguish between recovery needs and retention requirements.

Backup of a server's OS is normally only needed for system recovery. Here only the most recent backup is needed and there should be no need for lengthy retention periods. 

The data on the servers may need to be kept for extended periods.
Here you need to find out what the legal requirements are - there is hardly ever a need for Infinity.
Lots of users simply select Infinity because NBU does not have retention periods such as 5, 7 or 10 years by default. 
Retention levels 10 - 24 can be customized to meet business retention requirements.

Big file servers, sharepoint servers and mail servers normally contain lots of old, unreferenced data.
So, investigating and deploying an Archive solution such as Enterprise Vault may be a big benefit in this environment.
This will ensure lengthy retention periods without burdening the backup environment.

Excellent session at Vision this year about NBU sizing and Tuning:
NetBackup 7.6 Best Practices: Optimizing Performance 

Here you will see that NBU catalog should not exceed 1TB.
(Plus lots of other useful info....)