cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

NetBackup LiveUpdate - errors and won't run

Beavisrulz
Level 4

Hello,

I am trying to run LiveUpdate on my NetBackup 7.1.0.3 server and it keeps failing with the following error log (I replaced our servername and domain name to protect the innocent):

2/3/2012 10:34:55 AM - requesting resource servername.domain.com.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.LiveUpdate_Policy
2/3/2012 10:34:55 AM - granted resource servername.domain.com.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.LiveUpdate_Policy
2/3/2012 10:34:55 AM - started process RUNCMD (5956)
2/3/2012 10:34:55 AM - ended process 0 (5956)
2/3/2012 10:35:04 AM - Info nbliveup(pid=1556) Updating LiveUpdate Server location to: http://servername.domain.com/liveupdate      
2/3/2012 10:35:13 AM - Error nbliveup(pid=1556) Error executing "C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\LiveUpdate\LUALL.EXE" -s -h "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\LiveUpdateHost.hst", stopping update. 
2/3/2012 10:35:23 AM - Info nbliveup(pid=1556) Start of the pack summary file:      
2/3/2012 10:35:23 AM - Info nbliveup(pid=1556) (09/28/11 11:52:32) Installed Veritas NetBackup 6.5.5 (6.5 Release Update 5) () 
2/3/2012 10:35:23 AM - Info nbliveup(pid=1556) 01/06/12 10:17:08 Installed Symantec NetBackup 7.1.0.2 (7.1 Release Update 0 HotFix 2) (NB_71_0_2_H)
2/3/2012 10:35:23 AM - Info nbliveup(pid=1556) End of the pack summary file:      
2/3/2012 10:35:23 AM - Warning nbliveup(pid=1556) Directory C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\Logs\LiveUpdate doesn't exist, cannot copy the installation logs  
2/3/2012 10:35:23 AM - Info nbliveup(pid=1556) EXIT STATUS 77         
execution of the specified system command returned a nonzero status(77)

I have a LiveUpdate server running IIS on Windows 2008 R2. I have created the virtual directory, assigned permissions, added the .flg MIME type, and copied the package files into the folder. I have also created a LiveUpdate Policy on my NetBackup master server, pointing to the server as you can see in the error log.

What I see in the error log is that when the LUALL executable tries to run, it is pointing to a "LiveUpdateHost.hst" file that is in a folder that doesn't exist. Our default path for NetBackup is D:\Veritas\NetBackup, not C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup. (This is highlighted in bold text above). Also, the log folder above is incorrect also since our NetBackup folder path is not in the path listed in the error log (also highlighted in bold).

Could this be our issue, and if so, how do I change the paths that LiveUpdate is looking for? I've scoured thru the NetBackup documentation and searched the knowledgebase, but can't find an answer. If there is something else that I should be looking at or is not configured correctly, please let me know.

Please help! I would love to use LiveUpdate to upgrade and patch all of our clients on the network!

Thanks,

Larry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Beavisrulz
Level 4

For anyone that is interested or runs into this problem, I figured out the fix/workaround.

NetBackup LiveUpdate apparently only checks for the "LiveUpdateHost.hst" file in the C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup folder on your LiveUpdate server no matter if NetBackup is installed on said server or not. NetBackup is not required to be installed on your LiveUpdate server, but apparently, it still looks for this file in that path. In our case, we used a separate media server as the LiveUpdate server. NetBackup is still installed on the D: drive of the media server, so to fix the issue, I just created the same folder structure \Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup on the C: drive and copied the file from D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup to the newly created C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup folder. That fixed the first issue in bold above.

The 2nd issue in bold resulted from not having the upgrade packages unzipped correctly in the source folder on my LiveUpdate server. The documentation states that you need to unzip the files into the source folder, but it doesn't state that ALL files from ALL packages need to be unzipped into the SAME folder. I unzipped each one individually, which created a subfolder under the source folder, and the files resided under each subfolder. I had to move ALL of the files from each package's subfolder to the same source folder.

For example, if you have a source folder called C:\LiveUpdate and you unzip the package files for 32bit and 64bit Windows clients, you might end up with a "C:\LiveUpdate\32bit-client" folder and "C:\LiveUpdate\64bit-client" folder, with files from each package in their respective subfolders. You have to move the files under "32bit-client" to directly under C:\LiveUpdate, and the same for the files under "64bit-client" folder.

THEN the LiveUpdate policy ran perfectly and updated my clients without a hitch.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Beavisrulz
Level 4

For anyone that is interested or runs into this problem, I figured out the fix/workaround.

NetBackup LiveUpdate apparently only checks for the "LiveUpdateHost.hst" file in the C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup folder on your LiveUpdate server no matter if NetBackup is installed on said server or not. NetBackup is not required to be installed on your LiveUpdate server, but apparently, it still looks for this file in that path. In our case, we used a separate media server as the LiveUpdate server. NetBackup is still installed on the D: drive of the media server, so to fix the issue, I just created the same folder structure \Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup on the C: drive and copied the file from D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup to the newly created C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup folder. That fixed the first issue in bold above.

The 2nd issue in bold resulted from not having the upgrade packages unzipped correctly in the source folder on my LiveUpdate server. The documentation states that you need to unzip the files into the source folder, but it doesn't state that ALL files from ALL packages need to be unzipped into the SAME folder. I unzipped each one individually, which created a subfolder under the source folder, and the files resided under each subfolder. I had to move ALL of the files from each package's subfolder to the same source folder.

For example, if you have a source folder called C:\LiveUpdate and you unzip the package files for 32bit and 64bit Windows clients, you might end up with a "C:\LiveUpdate\32bit-client" folder and "C:\LiveUpdate\64bit-client" folder, with files from each package in their respective subfolders. You have to move the files under "32bit-client" to directly under C:\LiveUpdate, and the same for the files under "64bit-client" folder.

THEN the LiveUpdate policy ran perfectly and updated my clients without a hitch.

Hope this helps!

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Thanks for sharing your experience and solution!