Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup - VMware virtual machines

mmeeggaann
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi, 

I was wondering if it is possible to restore a VM with a new UUID and a different  display name, to the same location?

Let me explain... there are  6 VMs  (2 PROD, 2 DEV and 2 QA) running on  3-ESX servers configured as a cluster. I would like to use the NetBackup features (back up/ restore) to clone productive VMs and then update the non-productive environment (development o QA). To do so, I need the the UUID and display name are different. 

I'll appreciate your help. Regards!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Wondering why do you rely on NBU to clone your VMs when you have that feature in VMware / Hyper-V itself

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CY
Level 6
Certified

I have not tried the way you asked, but I have a suggestion for your need (to refresh the Dev and QA from Production VM):

1. Assuming that you have the DB or release codes on different drives (for example, D:\) than of the boot drive (C:\), then you can configure the NBU backup policy to exclude the boot disk in "virtual disk selection" so only the data drives are backed up.  You can configure another NBU policy to back up the boot disk only (exclude the data disks) so you still can protect the whole VM.

2. Restore the data drives to the Dev and QA servers to refresh these non-production environments. Now you don't have to restore the whole VM and worry about changing the UUID, etc.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You can restore VM with different UUID unless you check 'Restore BIOS UUID "xxxx" intead of creating a new UUID' at restore.
Of course, you can set different display name.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Wondering why do you rely on NBU to clone your VMs when you have that feature in VMware / Hyper-V itself

mmeeggaann
Level 5
Partner Accredited

You're right Captain, at the end I wasn't able to test the NetBackup restore. The VMware administrator cloned the virtual machine and that was enough to resolve the issue.