Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup and Telnet

FujSOL
Level 4
Partner

Hello

I am just wondering whether i can use Telnet to connect to my W2008 R2 NetBackup Server from which to run NetBackup commands such as "bpdbjobs" to verify whether a backup job has commenced.

The Telnet client would be from a W2003 server.

Is this possible?

Many thanks

FujSol

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Assuming you have a Windows PC then if you install the Windows Remote NetBackup Administration Console on your PC you will be able to run almost all commands from your PC as the console installation includes the admincmd directory and all command binaries.

In general you just need to make sure you add the -M mastername or -h / -host master/mediaservername switches on the end of the command - just check the reference guides.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Telnet is by default disabled on Windows servers.

Remote desktop or NBU Admin Console will probably be the easiest.

FujSOL
Level 4
Partner

Morning Marianne, I was looking to enable the feature on the W2008 R2 server. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

To enable telnet client ?

From command line:

servermanagercmd –I Telnet-Client 

Screenshots here:

http://www.petri.co.il/enabling-telnet-client-in-windows-server-2008-and-windows-vista.htm

FujSOL
Level 4
Partner

It would be the Telnet server feature as this support guys would telnet into NetBackup Master server.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732046(v=ws.10).aspx

FujSOL
Level 4
Partner

Thanks All,

On this basis - once i telnet onto the NetBackup Server - should i be able to run NetBackup commands?

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

I'm not sure because I always use remote desktop access as Marriance suggest.
I believe there are no restrictions on Windows side to run NetBackup commands. You login as administrator, you will be able to run any NetBackup commands.

tom_sprouse
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you choose to enable a telnet server you are opening a common port to be exploited, in addition, telnet sends password information over clear text. Anyone with a basic packet sniffer will be able to intercept your username / password very easily and chance are your account has domain priviledges.

However, if you still want to install it, here is a decent kb article on getting started.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771275(WS.10).aspx

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, if you are looking for an alternate command line solution for Window, let me suggest psexec.

Microsoft purchased SysInternals and provides psexec as part of the pstools suite.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553

Much like telnet, a draw back to psexec is the fact it will also send your password information in clear text across your network.  There are several articles online about how to work around the password issue... but at least with psexec, you do not have to enable telnet on the Windows servers and have another process running & port open on the host.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Assuming you have a Windows PC then if you install the Windows Remote NetBackup Administration Console on your PC you will be able to run almost all commands from your PC as the console installation includes the admincmd directory and all command binaries.

In general you just need to make sure you add the -M mastername or -h / -host master/mediaservername switches on the end of the command - just check the reference guides.

Hope this helps

FujSOL
Level 4
Partner

Thanks for all the constructive comments as to my issue.  Based on the risks associated with Telnet, Marks Solutions detailed the way in which i could remote commuincate with my Master Server via the Command line using bpdbjobs.

Cheers All