cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup only back up the folders but NO files

Lutz_Weber
Level 2
Hi,

we work with Windows 2000 servers and VERITAS NetBackup Version 5.0MP2 on a special server, designed only for the backup-jobs. This "backupserver" is so configured (over policies) that all other servers will be back up automatically. All server-backups, the daily cumulative incremental backups and the weekly full backups, work correctly - ONLY one drive on the file-server doesn't work.

The file-server has 3 local drives (a system-drive C and two file-drives D and E). For this 3 drives we have two schedules - one for a cumulative and one for a weekly full backup. The backup for drives C and D works perfect, but for drive E it works only intermittent. Some days this drive will be back up not at all and on the other days NetBackup save only the folders but no files. Only at a couple of days over the last weeks the back up of drive E work correctly. The errors appears at both schedules.

In the last weeks I doing all what me remind to do - I install all software new (administration and client-software), I plan the schedules new, I define the policies new - but nothing appears. I also switch all logs on but I can't found any error.

But now I have no idea what I can do to solve this serious matter and I hope that anybody can help me!?
8 REPLIES 8

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Lutz,

I understand you mentioned that they're 3 local drives but can you double confirm that the E drive is not network mapped drive?

Try using the backup directive ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES in the backup selection list and see whether it only backup C & D drives. Does the backup ended with status 0 or 1?

Lutz_Weber
Level 2
Hi,
drive C is a local drive, drive D and E are local drives too but they working via a EMC CLARiiON solution. But I think that is'nt the problem, because the backup of drive D works correctly only E makes problems.

We use the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES backup directive and the backup end with status 1. But the status 1 has another reason (some files on drive C could'nt open)

h_m
Level 6
Select the "cross mount points" tick box on the attributes tab for the policy(s) and see if that works.

Lutz_Weber
Level 2
I'll try it - monday morning after the next fully backup I can check if it work. But what does it mean - "cross mount points"?

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
An example of cross mount point is:

One has a local drive E:\ and a SAN disk mounted on E:\apps\. So if cross mount point attribute is not checked, NBU would backup all files in E drive except those in E:\apps\.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Please read this technote

GENERAL ERROR: When listing the contents of a backup set, some folders are empty and contain no files or sub folders.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/279932.htm

Lutz_Weber
Level 2
It doesnt function and it makes also no sense - sorry. I have 2 drives, and on both drives I have comparably content (files and folders). But one drive will be backup every time and in every situation and the other drive don't function. Your tip with the "cross mount points" was not helpful - have you any other ideas?

Stumpr2
Level 6
Check the "all log entries" report for the backup. Use the jobID from the backup.