cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.0MP7 Hardware Refresh

jbach2003
Level 3

So I took an image of our current NetBackup machine to prep for a hardware refresh.

I used a solution for hardware independent restoring, and was able to move the image over to the other machine with new upgraded hardware. The OS boots, everything is good.

The Netbackup Administration Console fires up, and sees itself as the Master Server. However, when I click on Activity Monitor, I STILL get errors about "Unable to contact the EMM Server". I even exported the entire registry off of the old server, and imported into the new box, but still, 3 services will not start:

1. Adaptive Server Anywhere - VERITAS_NB

2. NetBackup Enterprise Media Manager

3. NetBackup Resource Broker

The new box has the same exact PC name, same exact IP, same everything except for hardware. Logs don't give me any clear errors. Any advice?

Netbackup 6.0MP7 on Server 2003 x86

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So I took an image of our current NetBackup machine.....

In what state was NBU when you too the image?

Hopefully down? All services stopped?
If not, you have a Sybase database in an inconsistent state.

The Symantec supported way to migrate: 
TECH77447   Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between Windows master ... 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Never did it before though it seems you have taken a ghost image and put it on other hardware. On the master server try nbdb_ping. Does it show the database live?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So I took an image of our current NetBackup machine.....

In what state was NBU when you too the image?

Hopefully down? All services stopped?
If not, you have a Sybase database in an inconsistent state.

The Symantec supported way to migrate: 
TECH77447   Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between Windows master ... 

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I agree with Marianne that it sounds like the NetBackup database is not consistent and so will not start - which causes everything else to not start.

If you are going to ghost it you would need all netbackup processes, including PBX in a down state and a check that no nb* or bp* processes were running.

Any restored images would also need to be mounted on the new server using the same drive letters

Hope this helps

jbach2003
Level 3

Well maybe that's my issue, because I didn't stop any NBU services when I took the image. All of the drive letters are the same, and Marianne has already advised me about PC name/IP address. I'll try taking another image with the NBU services stopped and try again. Thanks again everyone.