Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Backup selection error

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi can anyone help with this error

I am using Netbackup 7.0.1 master server on windows server 2008 standard 64-bit operating system

client Netbackup 7.0.1 on windows server 2008  standard 64-bit operating system and windows server 2008  standard 32-bit operating system.

Each time after adding the clients in the policy and i try to chhose the path for the backup selection i get this error below.

Pls see a printscreen of the error attached.

21 REPLIES 21

Saravana
Level 3

Hi,

What is the policy type you have choosen?

Prior to that be sure either you have exception to netbackup ports(13720, 13721, 13724, 13782, 13783, 13784, 13785, 13786) in windows firewall or else you can stop the windows firewall in control panel however windows firewall service should be runnning!

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NBU 7.0.1 DOES NOT need all of those ports!!!

ONLY vnetd (13724) and pbx (1556) ports need to be opened.  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH136090

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

hi 

I have disabled all the firewall on one of the servers, do i still need to open the vnetd(13724) and pbx(1556) ports

see attached the screenshot of all my firewall disabled in one of the servers

Still i receive the same error.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

"Each time after adding the clients in the policy and i try to choose the path for the backup selection i get this error below."

Its the "media" that is the issue.

So we need to figure out where that is coming into the picture.

So is "media" listed as a client in the policy?

In the master server properties - servers - additional servers - is there a server named media here?  or even under the media server section of same screen is there a server named media here?

On the client properties - look at the same thing - is there a server called media listed?

and if yes - do you have a server called "media"?

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

hi

So is "media" listed as a client in the policy?......YES media is listed

"media" is the computername of the server to be backed up and under host properties > clients, there is media under the list of clients

So where could this problem be from.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

do you really have a server out on the network by the name of "media"? 

If you do a "nslookup media" do you get anything back?  can you ping it?

I sounds to me like the server by the name of "media" does not exist any longer on your network

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I have re-installed the operating system on one of the clients and the server name is now "techserver2 and no more media" 

I have also re-installed the netbackup 7.0 client software on the techserver2 machine.

When i try to add the clients in the policy, it adds it successfully with no errors, but when i try to do a backup selection i get the same error "unable to connect to Netbackup host "techserver2""

Has anybody been able to resolve this issue

I have tried a re-installation of Operating system, but it did not work.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

action to the "Additional Servers (Servers that can access the currently selected host)" list in Host Properties/Clients/backup_client/Servers tab?

i.e.

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

When i try to load the client properties, this is what i get.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Try the various bpclntcmd & bptestbpcd tests:

STATUS CODE 25: Troubleshooting procedures for client Status 25 errors.
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH141839

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

i have tried the bpclntcmd command and the result were ok, i have attached it.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

open up the Backup archive and Restore gui

go to File / specify

Edit the server list

Add to this list the pc or server you are running the console from.

Marianne

As per Andy's suggestion, use bptestbpcd to test master -> client connectivity.

Create bpcd log folder on client, then run the following from the master:

bptestbpcd -client techserver2 -debug -verbose

Please copy the TEXT in the output and post here, as well as client's bpcd log file. Please post client's bpcd log as attachment.

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

@ J.Hinchcliffe the server name is already added in the list

@ Marianne here is the output and i created a folder under the logs

I created the bpcd log folder on the client under program files>veritas>Netbackup>logs

After running the command bptestbpcd -client techserver2 -debug -verbose

on the server, i checked the bpcd log folder i created, there was nothing inside the folder.

So i have just attached only the output of the command.

Marianne

As you can see from bptestbpcd output - there is something VERY WRONG with your hostname lookup:

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>bptestbpcd -client techserver2 -
debug -verbose
13:47:39.511 [3820.3660] <2> bptestbpcd: VERBOSE = 0
13:47:42.132 [3820.3660] <2> hosts_equal: gethostbyname failed for media: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found.
 (0)

Why is it trying to connect to media when you type techserver2?

Are you using DNS or hosts entries for name resolution?

What do you get when you 'ping techserver2 ' from the master server?

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The ping goes well, i have attached the output and also i tried to select the backup path again and still got the same error.

Maybe i should just do a re-installation of the operating system and the netbackup on the master server.

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

hi guys,

No response yet from anyone.

Although i am yet to do the re-installation, but would do that today and give some feedback.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

Did you uninstall and re-install your client?

On the client itself open the BAR GUI and select File - NetBackup Client Properties.

Make sure that its client name is techserver2 and not media. Change it if neccesary and re-start the client service.

Also check there is nothing left in a hosts file anywhere.

Marianne

Hopefully this has been resolved by now?

I don't understand why you feel a complete OS and NBU reinstall is necessary when you have a server -> client hostname lookup problem...

Check hosts entry on the master. Check DNS entries. Check for aliases in hosts and/or DNS.

Another thought - NBU keeps a 'host cache' for about 1 hour. If you have made changes to hostnames at OS and/or NBU level, you have to remember to always clear host cache first:

bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache

Best to do it on master, media and client.

Well, by now the cache should have cleared itself! cheeky