cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Code 58 Errors

fordpony65
Level 3

Hi All!

I have some Linux clients in Netbackup 6.5.5, when I try to back them up I am getting a code 58 error, but I am able to ping and telnet to port bpcd.  Anty thoughts?

Thanks!

Fred

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The reason for status 58 is normally when the client is unable to connect back.

NBU 6.x uses vnetd (13724) to connect to bpcd on client and client needs to connect back on same port. Linux clients often experience problems when its own firewall (iptables) is enabled. Check/confirm that iptables is disabled.

Client also needs to resolve server's incoming IP address to hostname that appears as SERVER in bp.conf.

Do the following to tests comms:

On client: create bpcd log folder under /usr/openv/logs

On master (as well as media server if different from master): run the following from cmd:
bptestbpcd -client <client-name> -verbose

Check in client's bpcd log if client is able to resolve server's IP address to hostname. See how the resolved name is compared with SERVER entries.

If client cannot resolve server name, check DNS or add /etc/hosts entry on client for the server.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Marianne
Level 6

The reason for status 58 is normally when the client is unable to connect back.

NBU 6.x uses vnetd (13724) to connect to bpcd on client and client needs to connect back on same port. Linux clients often experience problems when its own firewall (iptables) is enabled. Check/confirm that iptables is disabled.

Client also needs to resolve server's incoming IP address to hostname that appears as SERVER in bp.conf.

Do the following to tests comms:

On client: create bpcd log folder under /usr/openv/logs

On master (as well as media server if different from master): run the following from cmd:
bptestbpcd -client <client-name> -verbose

Check in client's bpcd log if client is able to resolve server's IP address to hostname. See how the resolved name is compared with SERVER entries.

If client cannot resolve server name, check DNS or add /etc/hosts entry on client for the server.

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

you may need to update host file as shown below. (master media client)

192.168.0.122    myserver01    myserver01.mydomain.com

fordpony65
Level 3

Jere is somthing curious I have seen in the Detailed status on the Code 58's that I am getting that I can ping the clients and telnet to bpcd port.

02/16/2012 19:37:57 - estimated 0 kbytes needed
02/16/2012 19:37:57 - started process bpbrm (pid=23429)
02/16/2012 19:39:38 - Error bpbrm (pid=23429) cannot connect to lh21049s, No such file or directory (2)
02/16/2012 19:39:38 - end writing
can't connect to client (58)

Any Thoughts?

Fred

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It is either ports blocked or possibly, based on your last message, the netbackup daemons on those clients are not running

Try a bpps -a on one of them to see what processes are running

fordpony65
Level 3

THanks so much to all of you for all of the advice!

Marianne
Level 6

Connection to bpcd is made VIA vnetd.

if you run bptestbpcd as suggested in my previous post, you will see which port is attempted.

Scott_Austin
Level 3
Employee Certified

on RedHat >service iptables stop

on SuSE>  service SuSEFirewall2 stop

Zailar
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Scott correct iptables stop and or restarts the service /etc/init.d/xinetd

Marianne
Level 6

............. as I have pointed out on 15 Feb ................

Zailar
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Yes, the Marianne pointed iptables

Or refer my case https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/failed-connect-client