cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Deduplication with Storage Unit Groups

dwilson1987
Level 3

Hi guys,

just wondering if anyone has tried 2 media servers on 1 site running NBU MSDO and creating a Storage unit group. Would this need to transfer all data again as they use seperate databases???

I ask this as I am unable to add anymore disks from the san to the server. (Windows Server 2008 R2, has 8 spanned 2TB drives on the server and will not allow me to add anymore)

Rgds

Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

Deploy Puredisk, and both media servers can write to the pool and share amongst the global dedupe available with PureDisk now deployed.  This is using PDDO.

Granted, you need a 3rd box now, and storage on it.  But you already own the licensing for PureDisk if you have the NBU dedupe licenses.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You're correct, as the two Dedupe engines aren't aware of each other you'll have cases where you'll have a FULL on each NBU dedupe server.

Only thing I can see is to split your clients between the two?

teiva-boy
Level 6

Deploy Puredisk, and both media servers can write to the pool and share amongst the global dedupe available with PureDisk now deployed.  This is using PDDO.

Granted, you need a 3rd box now, and storage on it.  But you already own the licensing for PureDisk if you have the NBU dedupe licenses.

dwilson1987
Level 3

thank you for your opinons I will investigate the puredisk solution.

Rgds

Dan

dwilson1987
Level 3

Is it possbile to manage puredisk using the Netbackup 7 console.

Or does it need its own management console.

Also is it possbile to have MSDO pools duplicate data from NBU media servers to Puredisk?

VirtualED
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

PureDisk has it's own Web UI.  It cannot be managed by the NetBackup console yet.

You can duplication from MSDO to PureDisk, but not PureDisk to MSDO.