cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup TIR data pruned at 10 days

Robert_Walker
Level 2

Netbackup 7.6.0.2 master/media server and client.

In order to use synthetic backups I have turned on True Image Restore, but am finding the TIR data is being pruned too soon.

Initially I found my differentials were running as fulls and Synthetic Fulls were only partially complete because of missing TIR data.

I was seeing warning messages about "old TIR file /usr/openv/netbackup/tir_info/.../NetBackup_file_info is missing. Backing up everything in <path>".

I found the configuration section in the master server properties where this TIR data pruning time interval can be adjusted (default is 1 day). I have adjusted this up to 120 days but am finding the data is still being pruned at about 10 days. 

My backups (~100TB) take about 2 weeks to complete over our dedicated WAN link and I am finding that by the time the next incremental attemts to run, the missing TIR data causes the incremental to effectively be a full. This becomes a viscious circle and I can never seem to get ahead.

Does anyone know if TIR data pruning can go past 10 days? I couldnt find any upper limit in the docs. 

Am I missing some other fundamantal issue?

Thanks for any help

Robert

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am more concerned about backup taking 2 weeks to complete than with pruning of TIR data.
What is RPO and RTO for clients at this site?

You are backing up ~100TB over a WAN link? WOW!

I would think that this amount of data warrants a local media server?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

for WAN operation you should use Netbackup dedupe and accelerator. Basically this is synthetic on steroids.

Abdul from Symantec has written two blog about the subject.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/frequently-asked-questions-netbackup-accelerator

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/frequently-asked-questions-netbackup-accelerator-part-ii

Robert_Walker
Level 2

Thanks. Will investigate this for the future.

Robert_Walker
Level 2

I realize that 2 weeks is long and that yes, a local media server would be a logical step, but we still have to relocate this data to an alternate site as well. Plus budgets being what they are, one cant always do the most sensible thing and must use what is available. For me that is a very good WAN link and a remote master/media server with excess capacity.

This is a single system I am backing up which contains 1+ PB. The 100TB has been identified as the most critical subset of the total data. The system in question is highly redundant and resilient, so this is mostly a second copy/offsite copy for disaster recovery.

So for now the TIR data pruning is the problem. Once I can get incrementals that are really incremental and not repeating fulls, then I should be able to keep up with the flow (1-3TB/week).

Thanks.