cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup master server migration

Rohit_new
Level 4
Certified

We have an existing Netbackup master server ( Solaris ) with NB 6.5.3.1. We want to migrate it to a different solaris host and want to keep the existing conffigurations intact. Can you please suggest the steps to go ahead with the plan . Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

Taqadus_Rehman
Level 6

I would do the master server migration as a normal DR exercise

Netbackup Troubleshooting Guide - Chapter 7 page 533

1. Take a full catalog backup
  2. Install Master Server in new box (with same name and ip config)
  3. configure robot and devices
  4. restore catalog

Why host name and ip need to be same?

I would keep the same name and the same IP address from the old to the new. below artical will describe the reason

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/268696.htm

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

Is it the same version of solaris ?

You can simply install 6.5.3.1 on new machine, tar /usr/openv on old machine and unpack tar file on new machine. Maybe it's little unsupported but it works :)

Stumpr2
Level 6

Marek is correct. tar will work. I have done it many times.

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

Make sure your new server has same Hostname as the current one. IP can be different as long as you take care of it in DNS. Other thing, when you tar /usr/openv on exsisting server make sure NetBackup is not running.

In nutshell

- Install same version of NetBackup on new server, make sure to give it same hostname (may be with a fake IP).

- Shutdown netbackup on current server and tar /usr/openv

- ftp/rcp or whatever you choose for copying the data and move tar of /usr/openv from current server to new server

- make sure NetBackup is not running on new server and untar the tar file in /usr/openv

- start netbackup on this server.

- if you have tape drives for master server, you will have to configure/reconfigure these drives now.

Frenchy_Big_Blu
Level 3
Hello,

Can this be used to migrate on a different OS? (source = Solaris 8, target = AIX 6) or only the master catalog restore option will work?

Thanks.

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified
Actually there is a technote http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/267137.htm dedicated to migration.
In short, you should have a talk with Symantec Consulting before puting anything in action.

Frenchy_Big_Blu
Level 3
OK, thanks!

Frenchy_Big_Blu
Level 3
PS: would you know the right Symantec contact for France to ask for such a migration support contract?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Contact Technical Support

or your Symantec Sales Rep.

Can't find any specific regional info on the Symantec Consulting web pages

**EDIT**

Tech Support probably won't like me pointing you their way ;) the following TechNote implies to speak to your Sales Rep:

DOCUMENTATION: How to migrate the NetBackup catalog information from one platform to another (UNIX t...

***EDIT #2***

Which I've just realised Anton has already referenced! Go back to sleep Andy :D

Frenchy_Big_Blu
Level 3
OK ,thanks.

BMU
Level 4
Partner Accredited
making this would imply :

-keeping same hostname
-keeping same ip
- save special files like bp.conf , vm.conf , Size-dta-buffers_numbers_databuffers

then i woud make a brand new server , shutdown old one
reinstall 6.5.1 binaries on the new server

then restore the catalog to the new server

i've done that many times , especially when i do need to change the solaris version of the server