Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup restore failing with error code 25

Rohit_new
Level 4
Certified
Hello,
While restoring a file from a windows client through netbackup , I am getting the below errors :

09/14/2009 08:38:17 - Warning bptm (pid=4284) failure logging message to client  <Masterserver>  in log ........./29732252935418471127000000017-G5aGe6.log:  client hostname could not be found (48)

09/14/2009 08:38:24 - Error bpbrm (pid=1300) bpcd on cidcsbkmstr.cidc exited with status 48: client hostname could not be found
09/14/2009 08:38:25 - Error bpbrm (pid=1300) cannot put rename file on kmslsss
09/14/2009 08:43:54 - end Restore; elapsed time 0:06:46
cannot connect on socket (25)

I have a windows media server and unix media server . The backups are running fine for the client , but facing the errors in restore. DNS entries are fine for the client. 
7 REPLIES 7

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Restores started by Master Server are successful, but attempts to restore thought specific machine (...

***EDIT***
The pertinent part being:
"...
The machine starting the restore operation must be declared as a server for the Media Server and for the destination client. Also the Media Server must be declared as a server for the machine starting the restore and for the destination client. Update /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf file in an UNIX environment or use Backup, Archive and Restore GUI in a Microsoft environment to update SERVER entries, allowing communications between the involved layers to be able to successfully finish the restore.
..."

Rohit_new
Level 4
Certified
I am restoring it from the master server only ..but its giving me the error ...backups are running fine for the client with the same configuration

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
you are actually running the BAR GUI directly on the Master server, not on your desktop PC or the client itself or a.n.other client?

Is the destination client that you have selected the correct one, including correct spelling?

Rohit_new
Level 4
Certified
Yes ..I am doing restore from the BAR window of the master server and the client name is correct as I am selecting it from the drop down list .

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Sorry if I'm asking questions that seem too basic, but the number of times that a simple question is missed (e.g. "your PC's not working? Is it plugged in at the wall?") & it turns out to be the issue can be somewhat embarrassing! ;)

So, to start from the beginning ... can you confirm

Master server OS & NB version (is that cidcsbkmstr.cidc in your log above?)
Client OS & NB version (is that kmslsss in the log?)
Restore back to same client as originally saved from?

Additionally, you say DNS is ok, have you tried bpclntcmd nslookup checks (from master to client & vice versa)
e.g.
bpclntcmd -hn (client or master hostname)
bpclntcmd -self
bpclntcmd -ip (client or master ip address)
nslookup (client or master hostname)  TWICE
nslookup (client or master ip address) TWICE

rjrumfelt
Level 6

I see where you stated that your DNS entries are fine, but I do not like to rely on DNS for my backup environment.  Have you made sure that the host name of the client has been correctly entered in the host file of the master, and the master/media server entries have been correctly added to the client host file?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
That pull down box in the BAR has server names that - someone typed into the bar(nb does not auto make the list)- so just double check that it is spelled correctly.