cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No verification similar to Backup Exec?

dglee
Level 4
Is there a reason why there is no "Verify data after job completes" option, like there is in BE?  I would never use it in BE, reasoning that "once the data is written, what good does verifying it do?".  However, now that we've moved to using NBU, it's a little disconcerting to not have it as an option.  There must be a good reason...right?

Also, can someone tell me how to change my forum name?  I was automatically assigned the name '289703687', and no one calls me that 'cept my parents.  Thanks for any help you can provide on both of these subjects.
9 REPLIES 9

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

@289703687 wrote:
Is there a reason why there is no "Verify data after job completes" option, like there is in BE?

Maybe they thought that :

@289703687 wrote:

"once the data is written, what good does verifying it do?".

Smiley Wink

@289703687 wrote:

Also, can someone tell me how to change my forum name?  I was automatically assigned the name '289703687', and no one calls me that 'cept my parents.  Thanks for any help you can provide on both of these subjects.

Apparently if you PM one of the moderators they will be able to change this for you. See this posting.

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6
Have you looked at bpverify? See the command line manual.

Yomesh
Level 3
Hey

I am looking for exactly the same thing , audit requirement states that all backups should be 'read-verified' that is the 'verification' of backup on completion of the job is there no way to do this in netbackup ?

it used to be an option on 3.4 or 4.5 ? just think I have seen it some older version.

Thanks,

Yomesh.

Dion
Level 6
Certified
The only real way to verify your data is to do test restores.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

@Dion wrote:
The only real way to verify your data is to do test restores.

Too true!

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
bpverify at command line.

or

in the gui go to Catalog on the left.

one of your "actions" on this screen is verify.

verify will compare the contents of the tape to what the catalog has.

dglee
Level 4

J.Hinchcliffe wrote:
bpverify at command line.

or

in the gui go to Catalog on the left.

one of your "actions" on this screen is verify.

verify will compare the contents of the tape to what the catalog has.

yes, but what if i want to verify that the data i backed up matches the source data?  it's not feasible for us to do test restores daily.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
bpverify verifies the contents of one or more backups by reading the backup volume and by comparing its contents to the NetBackup catalog. This operation does not compare the data on the volume with the contents of the client disk. However, it does read each block in the image, which verifies that the volume is readable. NetBackup verifies only one backup at a time and tries to minimize media mounts and position time.

as far as I know it does not compare to the data on disk..... because the data on disk has a high chance of changing between the backup and the verify..... that is why there is the vsp files to handle changes to files while backups are going.

dglee
Level 4
thanks J.Hinch...that was my gut feeling (about files changing between backup and verify).  I just had to have it confirmed by someone who (in all likelihood) knows more than I do about this.

I'm going to use that as a justification for not performing daily verification jobs of our backups.