cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of mounts

gmgenova
Level 3

We have some tapes that are getting over 200 mounts. We want to start weeding these out. We have some periodic backup tapes that we keep for several years that only have 1 mount or 2 on them so we decided to use these (instead of buying new tapes). Since the tapes with over 200 mounts have their tape case nicely labeled already, we decided to take the barcode sticker off the tape with only a mount or 2 and put a new barcode sticker on it that matches the number on the tape case of the tape with numerous mounts.

The bottom line is this. Even though we switched the tapes, the tape is still showing over 200 mounts instead of 1 or 2. Is there a way to refresh the number of mounts or does the number of mounts stay with a given bar code number?

Ex.  if tape # 88 has 210 mounts and I use a brand new tape and put #88 on it, should tape #88 now show 0 mounts or will it still show 210 mounts? If it shows 210 mounts, can I refresh it somehow so it shows 0 mounts?

2 REPLIES 2

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

you can delete the tape, then add it in as a new tape and it will start with 0 mounts.

Be sure that you bplable the tape,  because the tape is going to have a written id (on the physical tape) that says its old number, and when NB loads it it will see a miss match and not use it.

gmgenova
Level 3

Thank you. I found out I can also use the vmchange command to change it to whatever I want.