cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only Shadow Copy Component fails with a Status 41

Dennis_Rafferty
Level 3
Hello,

I am currently backing up a Windows 2003 Server.  We use NetBackup 5.1 MP6.  The Policy specifies ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES.

Here is the problem:
Three different jobs run for this client - Shadow Copy Component, C:, and D:.  I have Shadow Copy Component in the exclude list.  For the past few days we have been receiving a status 41 on ONLY the Shadow Copy Component job.  The other 2 jobs complete successfully.  This is the first that I have ran across this particular problem.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I've removed and added SCC to the exclude list and tried backing up the client and it still comes back with a Status 41.

Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks!!

-Dennis
7 REPLIES 7

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Dennis_Rafferty
Level 3
I checked and this is what I've found around the start time of the backup for the past few nights:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: An error occured calling QueryInterface from IVssCoordinator to IVssShim. hr = 0x800706b5.

Will_Restore
Level 6
A Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) update package is available for Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833167

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Dennis says:

"I  have Shadow Copy Component in the exclude list. "

So it should NOT EVEN TRY.

Show us how you have it in the exclude list.  I have seen more then on suggestion as to how to add it.
So lets look at that first.

Dennis_Rafferty
Level 3
I've talked with a few Symantec techs about the exclude list and they say that it will still kick off a job for whatever is in there but will then skip it and the job will complete successfully.  That's why I'm stumped on this one.

Here is how I have it in the exclude list:  Shadow Copy Components:\

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
... to just specify the 2 drives that you want to backup then & forget the SCC altogether or switch off multi-streaming in this instance.

If it's an ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive that is being used then presumably it kicks off each separate job (multistream being set), SCC, C:\ etc before it looks at the exclude lists. So it's still trying to start the SCC backup before trying to exclude it. The fact that there's a possible VSS issue is just confusing the matter.

What would NB do if you had the policy set up the same but tried to exclude the C:\ drive, would it still try to kick it off before reading the exclude & produce a status 0 'empty' backup? I don't know, it's not something I've ever considered doing!

Dennis_Rafferty
Level 3
Well, after a reboot of the client it finally started to work.  Now, I have two more clients that are experiecing the same issue.  However, a reboot of the client doesn't fix the problem.  I've check vssadmin list writers on both clients and everything is stable.  I've restarted VSS and NB services on the clients and still nothing. 

Anyone have any other ideas?  Thanks.