cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle and MS-SQL backup fail with rc 41

scerreti
Level 4

Hi,

after my keywords expired i deleted them and then i have registered the new keys. After this my backup oracle and MS-SQL fail with rc 41:

here an example:

2-ott-2010 14.40.30 - estimated 0 kbytes needed
2-ott-2010 14.40.34 - started process bpbrm (pid=1784)
2-ott-2010 14.40.37 - connecting
2-ott-2010 14.40.52 - connected; connect time: 0:00:00
2-ott-2010 14.41.01 - begin writing
2-ott-2010 14.46.28 - end writing; write time: 0:05:27
network connection timed out  (41)

I have tried to do a file system backup of the same client and this work ok so i don't think is a network problem.

Media server used to do the file system backup is the same of oracle and ms-sql backup.

anyone any idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

scerreti
Level 4

Hi @ all,

the problem was the nblog.conf file of the master server. It was corrupted.I solved the problem with the support of Symantec. Thank you, Sergio

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

How big are the databases and what are you timeouts set to (client read timeout). Database files are bigger and therefore require larger timeout values than file system backups.

Try increasing the time out and report back.

R

scerreti
Level 4

Hi,

the timeout is set to 1800 (i have already read some comments on this type of error).

I have observed that the service bpdbm don't start in the media server. Is this normal?

We have this problem after we have changed our license keys. Is possible a problem with our license?

thanks

Sergio

Irfan_Ahmad
Level 4

please restart netbackup services on client side....hopes it will solve

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
bpdbm runs on master sever only. it is normal bpdbm not running on media servers.

scerreti
Level 4

Services restarted. The problem reamin. In the script log file i can see the following error:

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on ch00 channel at 10/04/2010 15:46:37
ORA-19506: failed to create sequential file, name="DAY35_ARC_ORACLE_SIDT_s.arc", parms=""
ORA-27028: skgfqcre: sbtbackup returned error
ORA-19511: Error received from media manager layer, error text:
   VxBSACreateObject: Failed with error:
   Server Status:  Communication with the server has not been initiated or the server status has not been retrieved from the serve

Will_Restore
Level 6

Check this document for possible solution:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH65683&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

DIAGNOSTIC STEPS:
1.  Check the permissions on /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/user_ops/dbext/logs directory.
2.  Check the client attributes of master server properties.
3.  Check the libobk.a and the backup scripts.

SOLUTION:
Update the host properties configuration "Maximum jobs per client" of master server from 1 to 99 on the NetBackup Administrator Console.

scerreti
Level 4

HI @ all, "Maximum jobs per client" is already set to 99.

We think is a license problem. Anyone have experienced an issue similar to this with bad keys?

We have opend a case in Symantec. I will let you know ...

Mahesh_Roja
Level 6

modifying Client Read timeout and Client Connection timeout values

Please check these values form host properties > client > client properties by default it is 300sec, you may increase it, currently i am using 900sec.

Mahesh_Roja
Level 6

Then Try this

Solution:

Make the following permission change to "/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/user_ops/dbext" logs directory -

1 ) Set permission to 775

2) Change owner to Oracle

3) Change group to DBA

4) Check with the DBA if the DB instance is stuck in a backup mode from previouse backup attempt.  

Irfan_Ahmad
Level 4

plz read these two links :

http://fixunix.com/veritas-net-backup/481624-error-message-oracle-backup.html

http://www.netbackupcommands.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=4&func=view&id=64&catid=11

We are taking lot of oracle backups, never face this type of problem. May be this problem is being occured due to oracle agent but i am not sure....Please let me know about these notes...cheerss....irfan ahmad

Irfan_Ahmad
Level 4

Please also read this one:

http://betterlogic.com/wpr/index.php/2009/04/02/ora-19506-failed-to-create-sequential-file/

Please must respond against above responses.

BR,

Irfan Ahmad

scerreti
Level 4

Hi @ all,

the problem was the nblog.conf file of the master server. It was corrupted.I solved the problem with the support of Symantec. Thank you, Sergio

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Maybe the steps support asked you to follow could help someone else?

scerreti
Level 4

with the support we have done the foolowing steps:

First: upgrade master and maedia server form 7.0 to 7.0.1

The second step was to check the log messages for errors. Looking for error we discovered that the log file was empty.

Checking the cause of the empty log we found the error in nblog file.

Sergio