Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with upgrading to 6.5.2a

Jaap_Hartog
Level 4

Hi All,

we have updated from 6.5 to 6.5.2a.

Of course we started with upgrading our master server (is also media server) and proceeded with the clients.

After updating the first client to NetBackup 6.5.2a, we found out that the client had promoted itself to being a Media Server (property only shown in the Host Properties -Clients, not   in the Host Properties -Media Servers !)

We chose the option "Install to this computer only" assuming it would detect the role of client automatically, which it did not Robot Sad .

We installed the other clients by choosing "Select from available computers on the network".

This gave the possibility to choose only client install features and deselect master and media server install options.

As a result all other clients upgraded OK and show up correctly in the Host Properties -Clients list.

First we deinstalled the upgrade on the problem-client then the Veritas client itself.

We rebooted upon request and subsequently installed Veritas 6.5, followed by the update.

Host Properties -Clients after that again showed the problem client as being a media server.

How can we make sure this client is only being seen as a client ?

We are afraid this might cause problems while performing backups due to the fact that the system is at a loss for which media server to choose.

Any suggestions ?

Message Edited by Jaap Hartog on 09-12-2008 02:19 AM
8 REPLIES 8

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Not had an issue with upgrading clients selecting the "Install to this computer only", but then we are staying at 6.5.1 for the time being so maybe something else to look out for !

Anyway, on the Admin Console GUI, within Host Properties/Master Servers/{master_server}/Servers tab, does this particular client appear in the 'media servers' box? If so, can it be removed?

Other possible places to look: 'nbemmcmd  -listhosts' which will show any media servers and MEDIA_SERVER entries in bp.conf on UNIX master server

Don't think you should have any problem with confusion tho' - YOU know it's not a media server (YOU have only installed the Client sofware on it) so YOU haven't associated any media or tape drives with it,  so it's a media server by name only.

Jaap_Hartog
Level 4

Andy,

it doesn't appear in the media servers box, only in the clients box as to be seen in the second line of shown hosts.

When opening this view freshly, only clients are mentioned and one master server, without any data on version or status. After doubleclicking the servername -hgol1daa- the data screen appears, also stating it

is a media server:

Upon returning to the media servers box, we can see:

After summoning the other clients, Version and Status is shown for them as well, while they remain being Host Type  Client.

Yes I know that Version shows 6.5... 

I hoped that after a reinstall of the 6.5 client, the Host type would already be Client, but no.

I guess it will not change after topping it up with 6.5.2 ...

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Foggy !!  Smiley Very Happy

Pretend this is the left hand side of the Admin Console GUI :

Activity Monitor

-NetBackup Management

+Reports

+Policies

+Storage

Catalog

-Host Properties

Master Servers

Media Servers

Clients

+Media and Device Management

Go into the Master Servers area & double-click your master server. Within the properties box that subsequently opens, go into 'Servers'. Within this there are two areas: 'Additional Servers' (a list of servers that can access the currently selected host) and below that 'Media Servers'  -  is your client in this bottom list?

Jaap_Hartog
Level 4

No, my client is not to be found in that list...

Neither did 'nbemmcmd  -listhosts' show it ...

During the install of 6.5 on the problem-client (HGOL1DAA) a message was shown like :

"Media server HGOL1DAA could not  be reached"  "Do you want to continue ?"

I proceeded, because I do not want his server to be menioned as a media server ...

It indeed is foggy ... 

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Hmmm - there must be a config file or registry setting somewhere. I was presuming it would've been held on the master but ...  maybe something that hasn't been cleared down when uninstalling the client?

Just to save someone else posting, I'll ask the question now: what OS are you running on the Master & Client? Can then decide whether we are looking at files (eg bp.conf) or registry.

Jaap_Hartog
Level 4

Master and Client are both Windows 2003 SP2.

Master is the active node of a Windows Cluster, by the way...

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I had the same problem. 

when doing the install you get that screen where it list the master server and any other servers and the client name is in the bottom part.

take that out when doing an install.

if you don't it shows up as a media server.

to fix.

in the gui

go to host properities/clients and open up this client.

go to servers

in the top window you will see your masters and any other servers that need access.

in the bottom you should see your true media servers

if you see your clients name in either box take it out. and apply the change.

I had 3 servers on the upgrade that did this.

taking the client name out of the servers window made it trun back into just a client.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

@J.Hinchcliffe wrote:

I had the same problem. 

when doing the install you get that screen where it list the master server and any other servers and the client name is in the bottom part.

take that out when doing an install.

if you don't it shows up as a media server.

to fix.

in the gui

go to host properities/clients and open up this client.

go to servers

in the top window you will see your masters and any other servers that need access.

in the bottom you should see your true media servers

if you see your clients name in either box take it out. and apply the change.

I had 3 servers on the upgrade that did this.

taking the client name out of the servers window made it trun back into just a client.

Yep - had this happen a few times & knew I'd seen it somewhere!