cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems getting manually entered tapes to label, on NBU 7.6.0.1

quantum-it
Level 4

I have a single LTO5 tape drive that I am using for a new NBU 7.6.0.1 server (serving as the media and master server), but am having some issues getting the system to label the LTO media that I've manually entered by hand into NBU.

1. Under Media and Device Management -> Media, I select the Media ID of the tape I want to label, right click it and select "Label...".  NBU promptes me that the process is underway and that I can check the progress in the Activity Monitor.

2. I then insert the appropriate tape into the LTO drive and go to Activity Monitor, and the Job hangs at "Active" with "A pending action is associate with the resource request" and the following message in Details:

4/28/2014 8:14:07 AM - begin Label
4/28/2014 8:14:07 AM - started process bplabel (80)
4/28/2014 8:14:07 AM - requesting resource NetBackup:140AAU
4/28/2014 8:14:07 AM - awaiting resource NetBackup:140AAU A pending request has been generated for this resource request.
     Operator action may be required. Pending Action: No action.,
     Media ID: 140AAU, Barcode: --------, Density: hcart2, Access Mode: Write,
     Action Drive Name: N/A, Action Media Server: nbu1-sj1.quantumscape.com, Robot Number: N/A, Robot Type: NONE,
     Volume Group: ---, Action Acs: N/A, Action Lsm: N/A

4/28/2014 8:14:15 AM - awaiting resource NetBackup:140AAU A pending request has been generated for this resource request.
     Operator action may be required. Pending Action: No action.,
     Media ID: 140AAU, Barcode: --------, Density: hcart2, Access Mode: Write,
     Action Drive Name: N/A, Action Media Server: nbu1-sj1.quantumscape.com, Robot Number: N/A, Robot Type: NONE,
     Volume Group: ---, Action Acs: N/A, Action Lsm: N/A

Any idea what is happening that I can't label this media properly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

To use a stand-alone tape drive to run the bplabel job,  we must specify the drive_name or device_number with "-u" parameter.  The drive_name or device_number can be found with "tpconfig -d" command.

ref link: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH157656

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

To use a stand-alone tape drive to run the bplabel job,  we must specify the drive_name or device_number with "-u" parameter.  The drive_name or device_number can be found with "tpconfig -d" command.

ref link: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH157656

quantum-it
Level 4

I am running NBU on a Windows 2012 host.   How do I do what you're describing through the UI on Windows, to add the -u parameter?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I'm wondering if NBU isn't aware the tape is in the drive.

vmoprcmd should show the pending action.

This command should then allow the drive to be assigned.

vmoprcmd -assign drive_index mount_request_id [-h device_host]

In the GUI, one of the screens should show the pending requst, devices > drives I think.  YOu can grab the pending reuest and drag/ drop it onto the drive (to tell NBU the tape is available) but command line is easier.

quantum-it
Level 4

None of these commands are being recognized at the command line when I try to enter them.  What is the actual PATH that these comamnd utilities are located under?   <admin_dir_path> doesn't help.  What is the ACTUAL PATH?

Will_Restore
Level 6

Resolving a pending request on Windows

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO33804

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Try <install>\veritas\volmgr\bin

It is a good idea to add the NBU binary dirs into the system PATH variable.

<install>\veritas\volmgr\bin

<install>\veritas\netbackup\bin

<install>\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd

quantum-it
Level 4

So just so I'm understanding this thread properly, even in NBU 7.6.0.1, in order to manually label tapes on a single-feed LTO drive I have to perform the task for each tape manually from the command line, because the feature to do this through the GUI actually DOESN'T work?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have only been able to label tapes in the GUI when tape drives were in in a robot.

As per advice in your other post, use bplabel from cmd.

Honestly - NBU is better suited to be used with a tape library with a barcode reader.
You have an Enterprise product. Use Enterprise devices with it.