cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protecting 44 Oracle DB instances running on 3 physical host RH 6.5

jmarques68
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I need a solution with NetBackup to protect 44 DB instances that are running on 3 hosts with OS version RH 6.5, these hosts are connected through iSCSI to an HP 3PAR and an EMC V-MAX, we need to execute backups to disk, and if possible using NBU deduplication technology. We need to confirm that we can implement the MSDP on the iSCSI storage systems, or need a separate SAN-FC MSDP. I'm shure that the 3 hosts cannot be configured as SAN Clients, only LAN clients, and if we can´t use the existing storage as MSDP pools we will have to include NBU Appliances on the solution. any ideias? Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

I'll assume there is no back in the environment then. You can use SAN client for RHEL, you just need a FT media server (linux or solaris based). Appliance can be FT media server too.

As for iSCSI, as long as the disk can sustain 130MB/s it should be fine.

Really depends on what you've got already and the budget :)

View solution in original post

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Take a look at Netbackup Intelligent Policies for Oracle. Team-up with a DBA and you got everything defined in less than 30 minutes. it is that easy.

Regarding deduplication I would go a FC connected disk LUN's. Ensure you bind data on SSD and fibrechannel disk layer if using FAST. don't use SATA disk.

MSDP disk pool can be configured on yore own backup servers, in that case the MSDP pools can be 64TB back-end. Using appliances Syamntec 5230 appliances the disk pool stretches to 144TB.

How many TB of Oracle data are we speaking off ?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi

I'll assume there is no back in the environment then. You can use SAN client for RHEL, you just need a FT media server (linux or solaris based). Appliance can be FT media server too.

As for iSCSI, as long as the disk can sustain 130MB/s it should be fine.

Really depends on what you've got already and the budget :)

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Take a look at Netbackup Intelligent Policies for Oracle. Team-up with a DBA and you got everything defined in less than 30 minutes. it is that easy.

Regarding deduplication I would go a FC connected disk LUN's. Ensure you bind data on SSD and fibrechannel disk layer if using FAST. don't use SATA disk.

MSDP disk pool can be configured on yore own backup servers, in that case the MSDP pools can be 64TB back-end. Using appliances Syamntec 5230 appliances the disk pool stretches to 144TB.

How many TB of Oracle data are we speaking off ?

jmarques68
Level 3
Partner Accredited

The objective is to create a new NetBackup 7.7 domain to protect these 3 RH 6.5 hosts (SAN Clients) with the 44 Oracle Instances, these instances are divided in three environments, Production, Development and Quality, the total amount of data to protect is around 108 TB and they expect to achieve the total amount of 140 TB in 3 years.

We are recommending the implementation of 1 Master/Media Server and 2 Media Servers, all three with Red Hat Enterprise Linux O.S., each with a MSDP of 64 TB to be able to store in disk the daily and monthly full backups acordingly with customer policies/retention periods for each environment. The deduplication will occur on the Media Servers because of these note in the scl:

"Do not enable client deduplication on SAN Clients. The data processing for deduplication is incompatible with the high-speed transport method of Fibre Transport. Client-side deduplication relies on two-way communication over the LAN with the media server. A SAN client streams the data to the FT media server at a high rate over the SAN."

For the MSDP pools we are going to confirm that they will be able to create as stated in the NetBackup 7.7 Dedup Guide them on the existing SAN storage EMC and HP that only as iSCSI connection to the Media Servers, and with the requirements mentioned on that same guide.

Do you think this is the best scenario? If not what do you recommend?

jmarques68
Level 3
Partner Accredited

The budget is a constraint.

jmarques68
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Is it possible that the 3 RH hosts be each one of them a Media Server, and backup themselves to a MSDP attached to them via iSCSI?

RiaanBadenhorst

I would not load these servers with additional processor/memory requirement that MSDP requires. I would get one appliance (maybe 5230 148TB) and then configure the rhel servers as SAN Clients. That should give good performance. Its a lot of data so I would not mess about with iSCSI, you need a robust system.