cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMAN flat files backup on netbackup

knbu
Level 4

Hello All,

We have new Cloud setup where user have RMAN db regular running to create the backup copies on other instance or servers inside the cloud. They have a backup request where i found they want to take a backup of flat files from one of there server.

The Oracle RMAN 11G is running & create/copy the files to other mount point(bin/lib files etc) & that mount point we have to take on tape or in other word in backup.

Now my question is, do i need to install the required NBU client(windows/Unix) & configure the standard backup policy as its a flat file system backup.

Or am i suppose to download any saperate client for RMAN instance configuration?

Oracle RMAN version is 11G.

Backup server is on Solaris , OS is Solaris 11.

Client where the Oracle Rman create the backup image is Oracle LINUX 6.5 & Windows 2008 R2

Netbackup version is = 7.6.0.1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It seems that there is no need for RMAN backup to NetBackup in this instance, right?

Yes, the NetBackup client software includes all agents and options, but it seems you will only need to configure a Standard backup policy (for Linux client) and MS-Windows policy (for Windows client) to backup the folders where the flat-file backups are written.

You will need to install the NetBackup client software.
Ensure forward and reverse name lookup works between the media server(s) and these clients, and that port 1556 (PBX) is open in both directions.

Take care that NBU backup of flat files only run after the flat file backups have completed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

The netbackup client has the oracle agent included by default. You only need to install the client on the Windows (Oracle) server. If the dba's want you to backup their dump files it will be a standard policy. Alternatively if they want to use the agent we can take RMAN backups as well while the database is online.

Where is your NetBackup server located ? Also in the cloud?

Marianne
Level 6

It seems that there is no need for RMAN backup to NetBackup in this instance, right?

Yes, the NetBackup client software includes all agents and options, but it seems you will only need to configure a Standard backup policy (for Linux client) and MS-Windows policy (for Windows client) to backup the folders where the flat-file backups are written.

You will need to install the NetBackup client software.
Ensure forward and reverse name lookup works between the media server(s) and these clients, and that port 1556 (PBX) is open in both directions.

Take care that NBU backup of flat files only run after the flat file backups have completed.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Regarding flat file backup of RMAN dump files.

Also ensure there is some sort of time stamp in the file name -  Just consider trying to restore the right file when you have 3000 copies of orabackup.dmp

The clean-up of the dump area must be controlled as well. bplist will be a handy tool here to determine if Netbackup as a copy of the file.

Pls note bplist terminate each line in the output with a null byte may cause problem with regular expressions.

http://www.mass.dk/netbackup/quick-hints/88-remove-null-byte-from-bplist-output.html

knbu
Level 4

Thank you all, I keep this forum open untill i configure the client .For Port request i already share with them as my backup infra is not inside the cloud.