cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup catalog configure using command line

shashi0621
Level 5

Hi Mates,

1..How to configure catalog backup from Command line In 7.x verrsion and in 6.5 version  of Netbackup?

2..What is the use of bpbackupdb command when we have bpbackup command?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO43640

NBU 7.1

Solaris 10

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I have no idea what the difference between the commands is, I've alays just used bpbackup as it works fine. As to the commands, the man page /Java log is sufficient to find the details, but ... 1/ bppolicynew catback -M 2/ bpplinfo catback -modify -collect_bmr_info 0 -residence -pt NBU-Catalog 3/ bpplcatdrinfo catback -set -e -p -u root -pwd 4/ bpplsched catback -add Full -type FULL -synthetic 0 -pfi_fast_recovery 0 -retlevel 12 -freq 3600 -residence *NULL* -pool *NULL* -sg *NULL* -res_is_stl 0 -mpxmax 1 -ut -cal 0 -tzo -28800 I appreciate 4/ is a little tricky, though not all those options are probably needed (but it worked, so I left it ...) When I first saw your post, I didn't actually know the steps as generally I use test machines that can be reimaged in minutes and when I do configure a catalog backup it's quicker to just use the GUI. I will admit I was curious though. I looked at the commands in admincmd, just an 'ls' command to see what was there - no command for setting up a catalog backup in one hit, so I set it up first using bpadm menu - here I saw you had to set the policy type, so that gave away the clue that you had to first use bppolicynew as for any other policy, then change the type to NBU-Catalog using bpplinfo You'll have to play about with bpplsched, I just copied this from my notes so you'll have to customize it to do what you want

View solution in original post

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

bpbackupdb command was originally meant for cold catalog backup.
Before NBU 6.x, only cold catalog backup could be done.

If you look in NBU 6.5 Commands Manual, you will see that this command could be used in 6.x for cold and hot catalog backup with different command options for hot and cold backup.

The command still exists in 7.x, but only options for hot catalog backup, similar to bpbackup -i.
So, you now have a choice of which command you want to use for cmd start of catalog backups.

As per my previous post - best is to issue these commands in your environment and see for yourself.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Level 6
My question is WHY? Certain things are just easier using the GUI. (I am very much a Unix person who likes using cmd, but I also know when battling with complex cmd options is simply not worth it.) You have a choice between Java and Windows Admin console that can both be loaded on your desktop. bpbackup and bpbackupdb can be found in Commands manual with clear descriptions. Links to manuals in 'Handy NBU Links' in my signature.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Why do I get the feeling this is an 'exam' type question ...

In what, I guess, 6 odd years I have never seen anybody ask this, and have only seen 1 customer that 'might' have set the catalog policy this way.

Seeing as I happen to know how to do this I'll give you the commands, but you must go research them to get the correct options.  The clue is in what I have written.

bppolicynew command to create the policy and specify the master server

bpplinfo command to 'modify' the policy to set the residence (also knawn as the STU) and the policy type to NBU-Catalog

bpplcatdrinfo to set the email address, and the DR file fiolder

bpplsched command to set the schedule(s), eg Full/ Incremental , retention level, frequency 

Tip.

Edit /usr/openv/java/Debug.properties and remove the # from the 'setting' lines

(or windows equiv if you are running java console from PC)

printcmds=true

debugMask=0x00040000

printCmdLines=true

Restart the Java console, and add a schedule to a policy.  

Look in 

/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/user_ops/nbjlogs dir for the log created (new log created each time you run the java console)

Find the line in the log which changed the schedule, it will give you a starting point as there are quite a few options.

shashi0621
Level 5

Thanks Martin.

I know all the commands which you mentioned.

I have searched  google and the man page of bpbackup and bpbackupdb.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

bpbackupdb states that hot online  catalog backup can be initiated with policy name and schedule using bpbackupdb.

I can also done that using bpbackup command.

SO what is the difference between bpbackup and bpbackupdb commend then.

@Marianne: Unix team also does catalog backup in our environment.they ask for command line mostly.

Thats why asking for command line.

Please provide some command for this or give links.

Marianne
Level 6

I know all the commands which you mentioned.

With all due respect - why ask then?

Your understanding of bpbackup and bpbackupdb is correct.

For additional info, here's all the documentation you need:

NBU 6.5 Unix/Linux Commands manual: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH52832

NBU 7.0 Commands manual: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127047

NBU 7.1 Commands manual: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3684

NBU 7.5 Commands manual: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5182

NBU 7.6 Commands manual:http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6489

If you still have doubts after reading the detailed info the Commands manuals, the only thing left to do is to run the commands in your environment and see for yourself what they do.

Do not be afraid to run these commands in a production environment - it will not 'break' anything.

If you get the command options wrong, the command will simply not work (error message)..
If you get it right, you will have running backups.

PS:
I have a feeling that you know about this post?
configuring user backup to this client 

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I have no idea what the difference between the commands is, I've alays just used bpbackup as it works fine. As to the commands, the man page /Java log is sufficient to find the details, but ... 1/ bppolicynew catback -M 2/ bpplinfo catback -modify -collect_bmr_info 0 -residence -pt NBU-Catalog 3/ bpplcatdrinfo catback -set -e -p -u root -pwd 4/ bpplsched catback -add Full -type FULL -synthetic 0 -pfi_fast_recovery 0 -retlevel 12 -freq 3600 -residence *NULL* -pool *NULL* -sg *NULL* -res_is_stl 0 -mpxmax 1 -ut -cal 0 -tzo -28800 I appreciate 4/ is a little tricky, though not all those options are probably needed (but it worked, so I left it ...) When I first saw your post, I didn't actually know the steps as generally I use test machines that can be reimaged in minutes and when I do configure a catalog backup it's quicker to just use the GUI. I will admit I was curious though. I looked at the commands in admincmd, just an 'ls' command to see what was there - no command for setting up a catalog backup in one hit, so I set it up first using bpadm menu - here I saw you had to set the policy type, so that gave away the clue that you had to first use bppolicynew as for any other policy, then change the type to NBU-Catalog using bpplinfo You'll have to play about with bpplsched, I just copied this from my notes so you'll have to customize it to do what you want

shashi0621
Level 5

thanks all.

only below is left:

what is the difference between bpbackup and bpbackupdb commend then.

Marianne
Level 6

Enough of this...

You have the documentation.

If you still do not understand the difference, use them in your environment to see for yourself.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I don't know the difference, bpbackup will run a catalog backup and that's what I use - and yes the catalogs are recoverable. It seems it is just an alternative command to do the same thing.

Marianne
Level 6

bpbackupdb command was originally meant for cold catalog backup.
Before NBU 6.x, only cold catalog backup could be done.

If you look in NBU 6.5 Commands Manual, you will see that this command could be used in 6.x for cold and hot catalog backup with different command options for hot and cold backup.

The command still exists in 7.x, but only options for hot catalog backup, similar to bpbackup -i.
So, you now have a choice of which command you want to use for cmd start of catalog backups.

As per my previous post - best is to issue these commands in your environment and see for yourself.