cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removable Storage Managment

ngdan
Level 3
Hi guys,

It was recently that I started see the error message below and would like to know if anyone out there have come across the error below:

WRN - Content Indexing Server: unable to pause catalog: System (some files may not get backed up)
25/07/2007 1:46:22 AM - Warning bpbrm(pid=3712) from client au-per-cg1: WRN - can't open file: C:\WINNT\SoftwareDistribution\EventCache\{275FF57E-8CF6-405F-B6FB-7C44896D7BA8}.bin (WIN32 32: Unknown error)
25/07/2007 1:47:38 AM - Warning bpbrm(pid=3712) from client au-per-cg1: WRN - Removable Storage Management: unable to export database (WIN32 1058: Unknown error)

try searching on the web but was unsuccessful. Hope that someone here can share the experience.

Many Many thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Windows version? NetBackup client version? Maintenance pack?

This can be ignored, and is due to be fixed in v5.1 MP7 (and v5.0 MP8) - both due to be released soon:
WRN - Content Indexing Server: unable to pause catalog: System (some files may not get backed up)
25/07/2007 1:46:22 AM - Warning bpbrm(pid=3712) from client au-per-cg1: WRN - can't open file:

This is part of MS Windows Update client, and the whole folder can safely be excluded on the client:
C:\WINNT\SoftwareDistribution\EventCache\{275FF57E-8CF6-405F-B6FB-7C44896D7BA8}.bin (WIN32 32: Unknown error)

Try disabling the Windows Removable Storage Management Service, and/or try excluding the "C:\WINNT\System32\ntmsdata" folder - but ONLY if the client does NOT use MS NTBackup, or does not need the MS removable storage catalog:
25/07/2007 1:47:38 AM - Warning bpbrm(pid=3712) from client au-per-cg1: WRN - Removable Storage Management: unable to export database (WIN32 1058: Unknown error)

HTH, Regards, Dave.

ngdan
Level 3
The version that I am running is 5.1 MP6. Not too if this got anything to do with the particular error message

ngdan
Level 3
RMS on the machine was disable but I am still getting the message of

Warning bpbrm(pid=640) from client au-per-cg1: WRN - Content Indexing Server: unable to pause catalog: System (some files may not get backed up)
Warning bpbrm(pid=640) from client au-per-cg1: WRN - can't open file: C:\WINNT\SoftwareDistribution\EventCache\{84E3819F-60C0-452B-8D5E-07F6A27C245B}.bin (WIN32 32: Unknown error)
Warning bpbrm(pid=640) from client au-per-cg1: WRN - Removable Storage Management: unable to export database (WIN32 1058: Unknown error)

Is there anyone out there who have come across this problem

thank you in advance

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
1) I don't believe there's anything you can do about the "Content Indexing Server" messages.  I've tried at my site, and I still get them.  There are several tech notes about it.  Do you know where to look for tech notes?  The notes suggest:
1a) Disabling a service in a "bpstart_notify" script (at the start of a backup), and restarting the service in a bpend_notify (at the end of a backup) - but this is only a solution if you do not multi-stream the client in question.
1b) ...or... you exclude all "*.wci" files from the client - as these are rebuilt by IIS whenever it is restarted/rebuilt so they can be safely ignored.
1c) ...or... you wait (like me) for it to be fixed in v5.1 MP7.

2) The "EventCache" folder is for Windows Update, so you can safely exclude this folder on the client.  AT my site is a typical exclusion on all Windows clients.

3) For RSM, you need to exclude "%windir%\System32\NtmsData", i.e. exclude something like "C:\WinNT\System32\NtmsData" or "C:\Windows\System32\NtmsData" - but only if you don't use RSM or NTBackup on the client.  If you do use RSM or NTBackup on the client, then there are tech notes about exporting the "RSM" database (again in a "bpstart_notify" script) in which case you would still exclude the live/open "\NtmsData" folder.  At my site we don't use RSM or NTBackup onany Windows clients, so again this is a typical exclusion on all my Windows clients.