cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming Media

OnRappell
Level 3

Taking tapes that are labled with barcodes and changing from P0XXXX to W0XXXX. I am running bpexpdate (Windows) command with all appropriate switches to expire the tapes, then removing from Tape Library and replacing old barcode with new and finally returning them back to the Library. Will this allow me to use this tape for backups?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You will have to Label them in NBU in order to overwrite the internal label. 
If you don't, NBU will freeze the tape next time it is used due to internal and external label mismach.

You can either label tapes via the GUI (remember to deselect 'verify label') or else use bplabel command (use -o to force overwrite).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6

You will have to Label them in NBU in order to overwrite the internal label. 
If you don't, NBU will freeze the tape next time it is used due to internal and external label mismach.

You can either label tapes via the GUI (remember to deselect 'verify label') or else use bplabel command (use -o to force overwrite).

OnRappell
Level 3

I will try that and see what happens. Thank you for the info.

OnRappell
Level 3

Ok, just to clarify Do we have to run the bpexpdate or just the label?

Marianne
Level 6

Apologies for totally missing your last question... 

I fully realize that's it's been more than 3 months, but I need to answer for the sake of completeness...

bpexpdate is only necessary if there are unexpired images on the tape. 
bplabel will fail if there is an 'Assign Time' associated with the tape (unexpired images).