cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeating error on backup: Error bpbrm(pid=1244) db_FLIST send failed: text exceeded allowed length(225)

dot_mil
Level 2

Greetings, colleagues,

I just stood up a new media server, and when it tries to back up a given file server, it reports the following (exact) error and enters into an "Incomplete" status:

"Error bpbrm(pid=1244) db_FLIST send failed: text exceeded allowed length(225)"

The recommended troubleshooting steps indicate that this is normally caused by a version mismatch, but all of the versions (Master, Media, and Client) in play here are 6.5.4.  The path to the file and the filename it is failing on are both very long (Documents and Settings\...\...\...\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\(Long crypto hash file)), so I thought that might be the problem, but the master server has no problem backing up the same file through its attached tape drive. 

Googling and searching the forums don't reveal other who experienced similar problems.   Does anyone know how to fix this?  Please help!

Thank you, and kind regards.

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would increase logging to level 5 and make sure you have the bpbkar and bpbrm log directories created.

If you think that the backup is failing at a specific file or directory. You can further confirm this with turning on path tracing with the bpbkar process.
I have found this useful in troubleshooting backup problems when they hang or timeout.
More detail here about the trace touch file, and how to create the log directories:-

GENERAL ERROR: The bpbkar process hangs when attempting to back up a NFS file system.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/264524.htm

Usage specifics of the bpbkar_path_tr touch file to enable enhanced debug logging of the bpbkar process
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/267292.htm

Regards version mismatch there are several places you can check which version the master will be querying the client
On the Client the text file contains current installed version detail:-

UNIX
%installpath%/netbackup/version
WINDOWS
%installpath%/netbackup/version.txt

or run the command
# bpclntcmd -get_local_client_patch_version

From the Master you can query the client version from the output of the command and as seen below
# bpgetconfg -g <client_name> -L

Client/Master = Client of nbu_master_server
NetBackup Client Platform = PC, Windows2000
NetBackup Client Protocol Level = 6.5.4
Product = NetBackup
Version Name = 6.5
Version Number = 650000
NetBackup Installation Path = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin
Client OS/Release = Windows2003 5

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I have a hunch you're on the right track with that long filename.

What are the Operating System/Architecture of the master and media servers in question?  They're different, I'm assuming?