cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore a Information Store (Exchange) to alternate client

HEMANPR
Level 6

Hello People:

I just have a simple question about the correct way for restore the Information Store from my Exchange Server on another client.

Here my situation:

I restore all my Exchange server in a complete  test excenario (Test Server working Perfect), but I need to restore the Information Store from 1 year ago.

When I set my BAR options ( Machine Type and policy), I set the source to my current Exchange Server and the destination to my master server ( For restore all the Information Store files on my Master Server and them move into my Test Server) Then Select the date and all the First Storage Group files (3 files, Logs Mailbox Store and Public Folders)

Then I click on Start restore of selected files and on the General Tab, I click on Restore individuals files and folder to different location (double click to modify)

I double click on each file and set for restore to my master server. It's the correct way to do this?

The oroginal Exchange Server data are not affected?

Please let me know. I just have curiosity about If I'm do it right. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

HEMANPR
Level 6

I will try something better...

I clone my Exchange Server, my Domain Controller and my Master Server into a Virtual Network separatelly of my production network but after cloning My Master Server, Y duplicate the image of the Exchange DB into a local disk on my Master Server.

So now I will try to restore the DB and Logs files of the Exchange Server from Master Server Disk.

Its suppost to be a simple exchange restore to the original location.

Now Its suppost to work... Let see what happend tomorrow.

BTW...I dont like much the word SUPPOST (because never work so easy) so let see what happend. I don't know much about Exchange Management.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

HEMANPR
Level 6

Netbackup 6.5.5

Exchange and Master with Windows2003 Standart

Thanks

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Exchange database restore is covered in Microsoft Exchange Server System Administrator's Guide (  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290211.htm )

You can only restore Exchange data to an Exchange Server. To restore a single Information Store, read up in this manual how to restore to a Recovery Storage Group (p. 62).

Procedure for Exchange 2007 in http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH57346

Chapter 6 of manual mentioned above covers a complete restore in a disaster scenario (p.106 onwards):

■ Setting up an alternate server for restores
■ Disaster recovery of Exchange Server 2007
■ Disaster recovery of Exchange Server 2000/2003
■ Disaster recovery of Exchange Server 5.5

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

With exchange 2003/2007 you can restore the recovery storage group (a temporary area on your exchange server). Then your production (current) data wont be affected. Alternatively you'll need to install a new / temp exchange server and restore to it.

You can find details about it in the guides listed by Marianne.

R

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Restore an Exchange 2000/2003 database to an alternate server

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH34493

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

you can only restore exchange to an exchange server.

You can create an Recovery Storage Group on the exchange server, then when you do the restore, redirect it to the recovery storage group and not the original group.

I must do this 5 times a month!

(but I also have really good documention with pictures on how to do this!)

HEMANPR
Level 6

OK I want to restore all my DB and the logs files from a older backup of my production exchange server to an alterate client Test Server (RESTORE EXCHANGE SERVER)

What is the correct procedure step by step Please? I don't know much about Exchange 2003

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

It is hard to restore to a server where the SG is NOT.

Meaning if you restore to a server on the same domain you may have issues if the mailboxes are active on a different exchange server.

There is a section in the exchange manual about restoreing to a different server.  Read that and see if it works for you.  Everytime I have had to do it, I had to have help from my Exchange admins.

HEMANPR
Level 6

OK People here my status:

I create a clone of my Production Exchange Server on a separate workgroup But I dont have the Database and the logs files on the Cloned Restore Server drives (It's too large for Virtual Disk).

I do not have a DC connected on this workgroup.

What I Need to restore? What I need to do?

I try to restore on this excenario but receive error 5:

11/3/2010 3:10:32 PM - restored image exchange_1253052127 - (tar did not find all the files to be restored(185)); restore time 00:04:45
11/3/2010 3:10:42 PM - end Restore; elapsed time: 00:05:02
the restore failed to recover the requested files(5) 

Zahid_Haseeb

Dead friend. There may be sereral reasons of error 5 But i think the environment you have created must have a DC any how.

Marianne
Level 6

Zahid is correct (although I'm sure he meant to call you 'Dear friend') - you need AD/DC.

You are basically testing a restore in a DR situation. Please go through the section in the manual (link provided earlier) on p. 112 (PLEASE also read the Microsoft doc that is referenced):

Disaster recovery of Exchange Server 2000/2003
The following instructions describe what is necessary to perform a full server recovery of Exchange 2000/2003. For detailed information about Exchange disaster recovery, refer to the Exchange 2003 Disaster Recovery Operations Guide at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125070.aspx. Other disaster recovery information may be found at http://www.microsoft.com/exchange.

The following are required before an Exchange 2000/2003 restoration can be performed:
■ If the Exchange server you want to restore is a member server in a domain, the Active Directory must be running. If Active Directory does not exist, you must restore it before you restore the Exchange.
■ If the Exchange server you want to restore is a domain controller, you must first restore Active Directory on the machine.

To recover Exchange Server 2000/2003

1 Install the same version of Windows on the new or the repaired server
2 Apply any service pack you previously had installed.
3 Restore the IIS Metabase.
4 Reinstall Exchange 2000/2003 and any service packs that had been present. (Use the /DisasterRecovery if the domain is intact.)
5 Restore the databases.

HEMANPR
Level 6

OK I create a Clone of my Domain Controller and running on a separate network of my production DC and Exchange servers. Its running fine both servers Cloned DC and Exchange.

My scare is If I move the Restore_Exchange_Server to my production network, have problems or cause any issue with the currenly Production Exchange Server.

Can I have the Restore_Exchange_Server in the same domain of my production exchange server without any problem? Or I need to have the Restore_Exchange_Server on the same network but not on the domain (set the REstore_Exchange_Server in WorkGroup)?

Marianne
Level 6

Actually (IMHO) that question should be asked and answered on a Microsoft forum...

Have you managed to check/download the Microsoft DR doc?

I don't believe you can have both Exchange Servers in the same domain. Best to keep your 'cloned' config in a separate domain.

You also need to work with an experienced Exchange admin throughout this process.

Zahid_Haseeb

HEMANPR do one thing. Let suppose you have an AD and a Exchange in your environment. Install another exchange in your environment with a different name(which is possible) and try to restore the backup of information store in the RSG of the new exchange server. from here you can restore your emails/inbox etc

Note:- make sure the domainprep and other pre-requesites for the new/another exchange server in your production environment and onboard Microsoft team

HEMANPR
Level 6

Yes 1 time ago (LOG TIME AGO) I recover my exchange storage group on an alternate client. But I dont remember how we doit.

Right now I have a Cloned Production Exchange Server and a Domain Controller on a separate network (Exchange Server with another name) both virtuals.

If I try to create a recovery group, I receive a error

Access id Denied.

Facility: Win32

ID no: c0070005

Exchange System Manager

Any Suggestion?

Zahid_Haseeb

HEMANPR you can get huge help regarding this on technet forum. i suggest you to consult MICROSOFT team/technet forum. if something/TN i found regarding this step-by-step, i will forward this to you.

HEMANPR
Level 6

I will try something better...

I clone my Exchange Server, my Domain Controller and my Master Server into a Virtual Network separatelly of my production network but after cloning My Master Server, Y duplicate the image of the Exchange DB into a local disk on my Master Server.

So now I will try to restore the DB and Logs files of the Exchange Server from Master Server Disk.

Its suppost to be a simple exchange restore to the original location.

Now Its suppost to work... Let see what happend tomorrow.

BTW...I dont like much the word SUPPOST (because never work so easy) so let see what happend. I don't know much about Exchange Management.

Zahid_Haseeb

Best of luck

HEMANPR
Level 6

Hello People

Here my status

I have all my servers in a virtual enviroment. DC, Exchange and Master Server

I can see my Exchange Client on Master Server (Connected)

When I send the restore job, I receive a message: requesting resource Fibre Transport

The job neves pass this step. The image is on a Master Server local drive.

How Can I fix this?

HEMANPR
Level 6

OK People

Here the solution to the past issue with the Fiber Transport

Set Fibre Transport to Never in master server host properties

Right now The job are running. I will send a status when was finish.