cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore multiple Databases simultaneously w/o having to create each script individually

HeroTheCat
Level 2

I am looking for a method to quickly select ALL databases on an instance for restore.

This article is NOT helpful at all as it only says "You can select multiple databases when restoring database from NetBackup SQL Server Client." however it doesn't say ANYTHING on how to accomplish this.

I have read the "symantec Netbackup for Microsoft SQL Server Administrators Guide" and do not see any reference to restoring ALL Db's on a server. 

*restoring to SAME server

NBU 7.6

SQL 2005, 2008 R2, 2012 & 2014

OS Windows Server 2008, 2012 R2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Think some scripting based on bplist will be you best bet, also because you need the names of the backup images for the restore script.

If you databases are located on a SAN, you probably can utilize the instant recovery feature based on shadow copy with the snapshot client for fast recovery.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

your questions can be divided into two :

- if SQL Server supports restore of multiple dbs simultaneously

- how to accomplish this with NetBackup SQL interface

Answer for first question is yes, with exception of system (master/msdb/model) databases. These databases must be restored individually and under special circumstances. Consult MS SQL documentation.

Answer to second question is that it cannot be achieved by clicking more databases in the same restore dialog window. However you can launch individual restore dialogs and restore individual databases (so restores are not simultaneously launched, but they can simultaneously run - every restore with some delay).

Regards

Michal

HeroTheCat
Level 2

How can I request this feature?

Having a simple short method to restore an entire instance (minus system db's) would greatly decrease the time to recover. Especially if there are hundreds of databases on a server!

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Think some scripting based on bplist will be you best bet, also because you need the names of the backup images for the restore script.

If you databases are located on a SAN, you probably can utilize the instant recovery feature based on shadow copy with the snapshot client for fast recovery.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

also if it is a VMware machine, you can employ VMware-based backup with "Enable SQL Recovery" option checked.

Then the restore of the whole VM machine including all MS SQL databases is a simple one step.

Michal

HeroTheCat
Level 2

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into that for sure.