cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore tapes written on a media server from the master

Waide_Yokom
Not applicable

Hello,

I have a NetBackup 6.5 environment consisting of 1 Master and 1 Media Server, both running Solaris 9.  I know this is woefully out of date, but money for backup upgrades is scarce to non-existent around here.  Anyway, the Master has 1 virtual tape library with 11 drives and 28 LTO3 tapes, and a physical tape library with 30 slots and 2 LTO3 drives.  The Media Server has (or had) 1 physical tape library with 23 slots and 1 LTO3 drive.  The tape library on the media server recently failed completely.  I'll be getting a new library within a couple of weeks, but in the meantime I need to know if it's possible to load the tapes that the media server wrote into the master's tape library and perform a restore from there.  I fthis has been asked in the past or is documented somewhere, please point me to it.  I've looked through the few resources I have on hand, but haven't found anything that discusses this.

Thank you,

Waide 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, just select all the media in robot "3", select move , then put them to standalone.

put them into robot 2, and then do an inventory.

then set a restore override for the media server to use the master server

View solution in original post

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can move media ownership using bpmedia command from media to master server in case of restore. Netbackup will then restore the backup as if the master server did the backup job.

bpmedia -movedb -m media_id -newserver newservername [-oldserver oldservername] [-v]

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO103824

Best Regards

Nicolai

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, just select all the media in robot "3", select move , then put them to standalone.

put them into robot 2, and then do an inventory.

then set a restore override for the media server to use the master server

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can move media ownership using bpmedia command from media to master server in case of restore. Netbackup will then restore the backup as if the master server did the backup job.

bpmedia -movedb -m media_id -newserver newservername [-oldserver oldservername] [-v]

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO103824

Best Regards

Nicolai