cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFW HA NB cluster master - virtual name limit of 15 characters

Kelly_Stevenson
Level 4

We like to use dns for name resolution for NB.  For Solaris no issues - we can use the fqdn as the virtual name when setting up a VCS clustered NB  master - hostname.www.xxx.yyy.zz

Looks like for SFW HA Windows - there is a limit of 15 characters for the virtual name when setting it up.

1) can somone confirm this is true - we only have a 15 character limit - so pretty much ruling out a fqdn name for the virtual name of the master?

2) can we add an alias to the master after the install - to apply the fqdn name - so clients can still use the hostname.www.xxx.yyy.zz when setting up their NB client software for the master name??

Regards

K

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The 15-character limitation is a SFW/HA Lanman resource limitation.

I have probably installed more NBU clusters than I can remember - I have always installed using shortname and added FQDN as alias afterwards (using nemmcmd ...).

We see on a regular basis questions being asked about master server changing domaIn name - with shortname it's easy - just remove FQDN alias and add new one.
With master installed as FQDN it is seen as server name change. The change needs consulting engagement.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The 15-character limitation is a SFW/HA Lanman resource limitation.

I have probably installed more NBU clusters than I can remember - I have always installed using shortname and added FQDN as alias afterwards (using nemmcmd ...).

We see on a regular basis questions being asked about master server changing domaIn name - with shortname it's easy - just remove FQDN alias and add new one.
With master installed as FQDN it is seen as server name change. The change needs consulting engagement.

Kelly_Stevenson
Level 4

Thank you very much - that is what I was thinking of doing.

Don't have this issue with Solaris - so wasn't sure.

thnx again

Kelly