cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Server 2005 backup fails with Status 2

Colin_North
Level 6
Hi Guys,
I am trying to backup a new Windows 2003 server that has SQL Server 2005 and I keep getting a "status 2" error. I've done some troubleshooting:

1) .bch file on client server is OK, and I have re-created this in case of corruptions
2) no hostname resolution problems between master & client servers

I have now created additional log file directories on the client server and increased the general logging level, so I'll see what happens next time I run a backup.

This is the first SQL 2005 box I have backed up, all the rest I backup are SQL 2000. I thought that the problem might be an authentication issue? Any ideas guys?

My master server is Windows 2000 / NBU 5.0 MP4.

Cheers, Colin.
3 REPLIES 3

DavidParker
Level 6
Colin,
90% of the time a Status Code 2 on SQL jobs means a typo in the .bch file.
Can you post the text of that for us?

You could also check the Compatibility Matrix to see if NBU 5.0 MP4 supports SQL 2005; it's possible you'll need to upgrade your MP (why are you still on MP4 anyway??).

$0.02

Zainal_Arifin
Level 3
This the samples scripts,

OPERATION BACKUP
DATABASE $ALL
SQLHOST “LOCALHOST”
SQLINSTANCE “ INSTANS NAME”
NBSERVER “NAME SERVER BACKUP”
MAXTRANSFERSIZE 0
BLOCKSIZE 7
BROWSECLIENT “LOCALHOST”

ENDOPER TRUE

OPERATION BACKUP
DATABASE $ALL
SQLHOST “LOCALHOST”
MAXTRANSFERSIZE 0
BLOCKSIZE 7
BROWSECLIENT “LOCALHOST”
ENDOPER TRUE

OPERATION BACKUP
DATABASE $ALL
SQLHOST “LOCALHOST”
MAXTRANSFERSIZE 0
BLOCKSIZE 7
ENDOPER TRUE

You can use GUI for create this script in the SQL server.

Regards

Zainal

Colin_North
Level 6
David,
It's a compatibility issue. SQL Server 2005 running on Windows 2000 SP4 / Windows 2003 SP1 needs NBU 5.0 MP6, so MP4 is no good.

Way back when MP6 & MP7 were released there were reasons that I didn't install, and none of the updates in MP7 were relevant, until now that is :)

In August we have a planned upgrade to NBU 6. In the meantime I may have to do an upgrade to 5 MP6 - the boss needs to make a decision.

Thanks for your help.