Did you mean: 

San Client Slow Throughput

hkyeakley
Level 3

Hello, here's my environment:

Master Server - RHEL 5 64 bit

Media Server 1 - RHEL 5 64 bit with Fibre Transport Enabled

Media Server 2 - RHEL 5 64 bit with Fibre Transport Enabled

I only have 3 or 4 SAN clients setup right now. 2 of them are RHEL and I get pretty good throughput when a backup kicks off. The other systems are running windows 2008 and when a backup kicks off, I only see 1 stream on one of my media servers and the throughput of the job is around 20 MB/s. I've read the performance tuning guide and the best practices white paper on San Client/Fiber Transport, and 1 thing I am doing that goes against recommended practice involves ISLs. My 2 windows boxes are on an edge switch that plugs into the core switch (where my tape library and all my Fiber Channel ports on my master and 2 media servers resides.

However, my two unix clients are on edge switches also and I get blazing speeds out of them.

Furthermore, my SAN guys tell me that when one of these Windows clients kicks off, the traffic on the SAN at the time isn't even approaching full utilization of the pipe from my windows 2008 box to either of my 2 media servers.

This leads me to believe that there is something not configured correctly on the Windows box.

HBAs: QLogic 2462

Driver: 9.1.7.16

Firmware: 4.03.01

The data I'm backing up is on local SAS disks, but when we try to benchmark the throughput of the disks inside Windows by moving a large file from 1 volume to another, we get really good speeds, several gigabytes a minute. So I'm pretty sure my issue isn't that I'm trying to backup a slow disk across a SAN.

I'm stumped. My gut feeling is that there's a setting somewhere on the HBA of the Windows host that maybe has some type of bandwidth throttling, or something similar enabled.

Anyone have any pearls of wisdom on this one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

I would have thought the setting in the text below is set automatically these days. I used it back in the days of LTO-2 to get the OS to write bigger blocks, as specfied in SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS in NetBackup. Take a look and see if its set to 65 (the note says 33 but that is for 128k)

Solution

The Windows media server that wrote the backup image to tape media, wrote the backup using a 128 K size data block.
The Windows Media server performing the import is not the same media server that performed the backup, however does contain the same SCSI card for the tape device.

Solution:
Set the Windows Registry for the SCSI card to read and write in 128 K blocks.

Set the MaximumSGList entry under the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<SCSI_CARD>\Parameters\Device.
This is set to a decimal value of 33.

Procedure:

Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.

1.  Click Start | Run and type regedit and click OK

2.  In regedit go to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<SCSI_CARD>\Parameters.
    The <SCSI_CARD> entry will depend on the type of SCSI card that is in the server.

3.  Create the Device key if it does not already exist under Parameters. If the Device key exists go to step 6.

4.  Highlight Parameters then right-click and select New | Key

5.  Name the new key as Device

6.  Highlight the Device key then right-click and select New | DWORD Value

7.  Give the DWORD Value the name MaximumSGList

8.  Double-click on MaximumSGList and enter a decimal value of 33

9.  Close regedit

A reboot of the server will be required to enable the changes.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst

What speed do you get when backing up SAN attached data on the Windows hosts?

hkyeakley
Level 3

When I kick off a FT job and watch the detailed status, I'm getting around 25 MB/s. That's if I'm lucky. I think it's actually faster to back it up over ethernet.

RiaanBadenhorst

But is the data you're backing up on the SAN, or internally on SAS? My thinking is if you can make a comparison between the two speeds (SAN and SAS attached) you can see where the issue lies.

hkyeakley
Level 3

I've actually tried both. If I back up the internal SAS disks, I get 1 pipe to my FT media server that gets about 20 MB/s throughput. If I attack a SAN volume, throw some files on it and try to back it up, I get about 20 MB/s throughput.

Is there anything special I need to do in the OS? The SAN client guide says that you really don't have to do anything in Windows other than enable the San Client and make sure the ARCHIVE PYTHON devices show up in device manager (which they do).

I did find a statement in on of hte San Client tech notes that said the native windows HBA driver only supports up to 64 bit block sizes whereas the manufacturer (QLogic in this case) driver supports up to 256 bit transfer. We went in and made sure the QLogic driver was being used instead of the windows driver.

We've installed the SAN Sufer software, and some other vendor utilities, but I don't see any options really on the card. It's plugged in, it's zoned correctly... I'm just getting crappy throughput.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

I would have thought the setting in the text below is set automatically these days. I used it back in the days of LTO-2 to get the OS to write bigger blocks, as specfied in SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS in NetBackup. Take a look and see if its set to 65 (the note says 33 but that is for 128k)

Solution

The Windows media server that wrote the backup image to tape media, wrote the backup using a 128 K size data block.
The Windows Media server performing the import is not the same media server that performed the backup, however does contain the same SCSI card for the tape device.

Solution:
Set the Windows Registry for the SCSI card to read and write in 128 K blocks.

Set the MaximumSGList entry under the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<SCSI_CARD>\Parameters\Device.
This is set to a decimal value of 33.

Procedure:

Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.

1.  Click Start | Run and type regedit and click OK

2.  In regedit go to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<SCSI_CARD>\Parameters.
    The <SCSI_CARD> entry will depend on the type of SCSI card that is in the server.

3.  Create the Device key if it does not already exist under Parameters. If the Device key exists go to step 6.

4.  Highlight Parameters then right-click and select New | Key

5.  Name the new key as Device

6.  Highlight the Device key then right-click and select New | DWORD Value

7.  Give the DWORD Value the name MaximumSGList

8.  Double-click on MaximumSGList and enter a decimal value of 33

9.  Close regedit

A reboot of the server will be required to enable the changes.