Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selection List containing Virtual and Physical MSCS Cluster Disks

Christoph_Eiche
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hi Everyone

is it possible to add Virtual Node Disks and Phyisical Node Disks to the same Policy? When i use Client Include / Exclude Lists on Virtual Clusternames the Include Settings are configured globally on the actual Physical Node. So when i now start the Policy and the Policy contains both Virtual as also the Physical Nodes, will the Backup Job run the same Include List on every Node? i know that i should create two different Policys one for physical and one for virtual, but since i would like to use one STU to Backup 4 MSCS Clusters at the same time with multiplexing on the STU set to 4 and every policy set to Job limit 1, to prevent that there will be 2 Backup Jobs of the Same Cluster (physical or virtual) from the same MSCS at any Time.

Is there a solution to this?

kind regards

Christoph
4 REPLIES 4

fjah
Not applicable
Employee Certified
Exclude lists are configured in the client and if you were editing client properties for a virtual name, then the settings were saved on the active node only. You will need to fail over the cluster, edit the exclude list againag and save it.

You would tyically back up cluster resources with a separate policy configured with a virtual name, and the nodes should be backed up through node names. The primary reason is that if you only back up physical nodes, when you get a restore request, you will to spend some time browsing through images trying to find out which node had the resource at the time of the backup.

Hope this helps.

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner
If you add physical node and virtual name to the same policy you will probably backup shared cluster resource two times.. Once by physical name and once by virtual name.
Best practice is to create one policy for physical and one for virtual names with separate selection list.

hmm maybe you can change backup windows for virtual and physical policies ? for example start one policy at 8 pm and second at 2am .. ?

marekk

Giroevolver
Level 6
I find the best method for this is to backup the physical nodes in a policy and the virtual nodes in another. Also when backing up shared resources use the virtual name. e.g on an exchange cluster use the virtual name to backup up exchange and the shared drives and use the pysical name to backup the non shared resources and drives.

Hope this helps

Christoph_Eiche
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hi all

thanks very much for your Input. We decided to just backup the physical Nodes and do the search in Restore GUI when needed. Not the best way but there are other Issues involved which made us choose this.

regards

Christoph