cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharepoint Dedup rate

ErwinVreys
Level 4

Hi,

I'm starting to use deduplication in Netbackup and I was wondering if somebody could tell me what the average dedup rate for sharepoint backups is?

I'm doing a backup of a Sharepoint 2007 environment and I get a dedup rate of 8%. Is this normal?
The environment consists of a sharepoint server and a seperated SQL server.

Regards,
Erwin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have seen low dedupe rates at a customer where most of the data stored on the Sharepoint server were image files (e.g .jpg files).

What kind of data is stored on your Shsrepoint server?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

ErwinVreys
Level 4

Is nobody willing to share his findings from his own netbackup environment? I just wan't to know if I'm doing something wrong...

regards,
Erwin

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi Erwin,

That does not sound very good. What deduplication device are you using? Is this figure common for the other backups too, what other figures do you see?

ErwinVreys
Level 4

I am using Media Server Deduplication Pools. I first backup to a dedup 1 pool and afterwards I replicate the images to a second dedup pool. This second dedup pool is on an other server.

The other images are deduping very good. With Windows OS backups I get an average rate of 95% and with SQL backups I get an average between 80% to 90% depending on the kind of database.

Dedup is working fine according to me but when I try to backup sharepoint I get a low dedup rate.

Marianne

I have seen low dedupe rates at a customer where most of the data stored on the Sharepoint server were image files (e.g .jpg files).

What kind of data is stored on your Shsrepoint server?

RiaanBadenhorst

Marianne has a valid point, if SPS is used to store content that doesnt compress well (like images, or scans), then dedupe won't be of much use either.

ErwinVreys
Level 4

I did some further testing and I even noticed very low dedup rate's on the sharepoint databases.
When I saw the posting of Marianne it came to my mind that we are storing jpg's and MS office files in sharepoint.

This is certainly the case considering the files we are storing. Thanks for putting me in the right direction.

One more question... Is it bad to backup this kind image in a dedup pool? Would it be better to store this images on a non-dedup volume like advanced disk, eventually everything is still put on tape.

Marianne

These type of files will 'eat up' space that can be better used by other types of data that dedupes well.

So, if you have Advanced disk available, it will probably be best to use this for backup and then duplicate to tape.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As a test it is worth setting client side de-dupe and turning compression on via the pd.conf on the client - this can sometime increase the level of de-dupe obtained from SQL type backups.

Worth a test - if not then it may be worth doing these backups to an advanced disk pool

ErwinVreys
Level 4

Thanks Mark.

I will try this tomorrow.

ErwinVreys
Level 4

I did the test and I saw no difference. We will have to live with the fact dedup for our scharepoint is a no-go.

I will change the policy to backup to an advanced disk pool.

Thank you all for your help in this matter