cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Socket errors

Mathews
Level 4

Hi,

We built recently a windows media server  with NB 6.5.3 and we have solaris  master server with NB 6.5.3. We have added couple of windows 2003 clients configured to backup in policies.  Backup got initiated and run at low speed and few of the backup streams getting failed with  below error ( log taken from last few lines from failed job)

========================================================
                                                                                                   FTL - socket write failed
07/03/2009 08:46:01 - Error bpbrm (pid=4656) could not send server status message
07/03/2009 08:46:07 - end writing; write time: 0:01:13
socket write failed (24)
========================================================

When i try to backup the media server itself, it run with high speed and got sucessful. But when i try to restore back .. the restore is getting failed with Socket error. so all restore job getting failed with "cannot connect on socket (25)"

Pls help me to fix this issue.

Regards,
Mathews
8 REPLIES 8

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

Is master able to reach client and what is the time ms ?
is Master to Client, Clinet to Master 13782,13720 works fine?
Main thing what is your bpclntcmd saying ?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You  must check that nslookup can perform forward lookup (name to IP address)  but also reverse lookup (IP to name). If reverse lookup fail, no restore will work.

You may also set "REVERSE_NAME_LOOKUP = RESTRICTED"  on both the master, media and client, if you don't have a DNS server with reverse lookup.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Check that the correct ports are open.

You did not say what version of windows and 2008 the firewall is on by default, you need to make sure on the clients that the ports are open for netbackup to work.

Media >> Client
13782 (bpcd)

Client >> Media
13724 (vnetd)

eda_team
Level 4

I am working on solaris,I have configured the NFS backup,I use to get the 'socket write failed error',I have checked with network team,tehy have not find any issues in the network,Can you pls suggest me how to resolve this issue.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Are you talking old time NFS? The data should be backed up and restored by the server that actually owns the filesystem. If you are trying to restore, copy or write to an NFS mounted filesystem the root assumes the identity of "nobody". Check the export permission on the filesystem.

John_Stockard
Level 5
Partner Certified
Mathews,

Here are some things to try on your Windows-based NetBackup media server to try to eliminate those socket errors:
  • Make sure you're using the latest device drivers for the NICs on the Windows media server.  These can be downloaded from the server manufacturer's website (if the NIC is built onto the server's motherboard) or from the NIC card manufacturer's website (if the NIC is an add-in card).
  • If the NIC is a GigE NIC or a 10Gig NIC, make sure you have the latest firmware installed on the NIC.  Again, this can be downloaded from the server manufacturer's website or the NIC manufacturer's website.
  • If the NICs on the Windows media server are teamed, un-team them and try the remote client backups and restores again.  I've seen lots of cases where teamed NICs don't work right for one reason or another (flaky NIC drivers, incorrectly configured team, incorrectly configured Ethernet switch, etc.).
  • If you use jumbo frames on your LAN segment, make sure that the NIC on the Windows media server is configured with the same MTU as all of the other devices.
  • Likewise, if you use jumbo frames on your LAN segment, make sure the Ethernet switch and any Ethernet routers connected to that LAN segment are also configured with the correct MTU.
  • Hard-code the link speed on the Windows media server's NIC to a specific speed and duplex (i.e., 1000base-TX, full-duplex) and make sure that the Ethernet switch port that the NIC connects to is also hard-coded with the same settings.  Don't assume that "auto-negotiate" is working correctly.
  • If possible, disable any software-based firewalls on the Windows media server, such as the Windows Firewall service in Windows Server 2003/2008.
  • Keep in mind that some anti-virus products such as Symantec Endpoint Protection can also interfere with heavy network traffic.  In some cases, the protection software can sometimes think that the heavy TCP/IP traffic is a Denial-of-Service (DoS) attack and will limit the bandwidth for that TCP/IP session or will even turn off the NIC temporarily.  Double-check with your anti-virus admins to ensure that your NetBackup media server is exempt from such policies.

eda_team
Level 4
if so it should not get complete every time (Pls correct me if I am wrong),Some time it will complete without errors,
In our case intermittentlly I am getting this errors,

Mathews
Level 4
Hi,

Thanks for all of  your responses. I have tried everything which you recomended to check. Eveyrthing looks fine and i thought the Netbackup configuration will be perfect (as few of the streams getting sucessful). So doubted on the communication  path / intrupt between windows media server and clients.  When i checked the NIC card settings on Media server it was HALF-DUPLEX.  After we set it as AUTO and the backup/restore for all   clients sucessfuly running with good speed without any socket error or file read / write errors.

Thanks and Regards,
Mathews