cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static data to backed up

Marc_Dumouchel_
Level 2
I have this server with over 500 Gb of data and it will continue to grow. The file structure is the following: 1999\01\02 where 1999 is the year, 01 is the month and 02 is the day. The structure goes like that from 1999 to 2006 and from 01 to 12 for the months and 01 to 31 for the days. In each of the day folder, there is hundreds if not thousands of jpg (scanning of paper forms application) All this data is static except for the current day. How would you proceed to backup this 500 or more GB of data? There is no use to do a full every week since only the current day change.

Thanks,

Marc
5 REPLIES 5

DavidParker
Level 6
Marc,
We have almost exactly the same situation at my company (a screen-cap and voice record software).

What we've done is:
Run full backups of the system on a scaled back frequency (once a month).
Initiate a VB script every night that creates a backup file selection list and then initiates a user backup.
The script creates the file list to contain the last 2-3 days worth of recordings and is run after the close of day (so, tonight's script will run at 2AM and 'select' the previous 3 days of directories).

If you'd like a sample of the script, let me know.

Stumpr2
Level 6
zip it

DavidParker
Level 6
That could work too ...
But what if your application needs the files to be in place to be able to access them (as is the case with my application)?

Another option: Enterprice Vault

But that costs a couple bucks I suspect ...

Karthik_Ramalin
Level 4
Well, another easier way is to perform client-initiated backups using scripts.

Since the file list is changing in a very standard manner (one dir per day), it might be much easier to write a script to perform a manual FULL backup of today's and yesterday's folders daily.

For eg : Get date field from the OS, and create a backup list with year/month/today and year/month/yesterday and use bpbackup from the client to back this up.

Once you are confident that the script is working fine, you dont need to take even ONE full backup of the ENTIRE filesystem.

Regards,
Karthik

DavidParker
Level 6
> Well, another easier way is to perform
> client-initiated backups using scripts.
>
> Since the file list is changing in a very standard
> manner (one dir per day), it might be much easier to
> write a script to perform a manual FULL backup of
> today's and yesterday's folders daily.

That's exactly what I suggested.