cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec NetBackup Cloud & EMC Atmos Cloud Storage

Andreas_Brosig
Level 4

Hello,

I am testing "Backup to the Cloud" in our company.

We have Symantec NetBackup 7.6.0.2 on Solaris 10 and EMC/Atmos Storage v 2.1.6 ...

Question 1: Is NetBackup 100% compatible with the EMC/Atmos Storage interface using the Amazon S3 or AT&T Synaptic method?

Question 2: Did anyone succeed in establishing a good-working backup/restore-mechanism using this method? 

My test szenario1: I was able to create a Cloud Storage Server in S3-compatible mode, but I couldn't create a volume with NetBackup. I get the error message:

"RDSM has encountered an STS error: createDiskVolume
failed to create disk volume, system call failed"

There seems to be a kind of "communication mismatch" between NBU and the EMC/Atmos storage system. By the way, writing Backups directly to S3-Amazon.com worked fine, but this is not the solution for us.

My test szenario2: Writing to EMC/Atmos via the AT&T Synaptic method seemed to work fine. Backups were created during my vacation in August, but the restores seemed to be very slooooooow. Ok, I tried to delete/expire the backup images and I have found out, that "someone" :) created nearly 2 millions very small files, each around 10k or something. Is this NBU's fault? Or Atmos' fault? Now I have the problem that - although I expired all the "backup2cloud"-images correctly - I can't delete neither the stu nor disk pool nor cloud storage server because NBU tells me that there are images to delete... §$%&/( Now I have installed the AtmosFox-Explorer plug-in for Firefox and delete all the images manually, but this seems to be a neverending story...

So... anyone out there who experienced the same behaviour?

Thanks in advance,

Andreas Brosig

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

EMC Atoms is not listed in Hardware Compatibility List for now, so use of Atoms is your own responsibility. Although EMC says Atoms works completely like Cloud Storage services, it is not supported by NetBackup.

I suppose creation of vast number of small files is handled by could storage plugin or Atoms itself, as this use case is not supported we can not do anything against this result.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

EMC Atoms is not listed in Hardware Compatibility List for now, so use of Atoms is your own responsibility. Although EMC says Atoms works completely like Cloud Storage services, it is not supported by NetBackup.

I suppose creation of vast number of small files is handled by could storage plugin or Atoms itself, as this use case is not supported we can not do anything against this result.

Andreas_Brosig
Level 4

Ok, thank you for the information, so now an offensive question:

When will the connectivity between NBU Cloud Storage Server and EMC/Atmos be supported? In version 7.6.1? "Inhouse" EMC Networker is already able to talk to the EMC/Atmos storage.

Since NBU and the EMC/Atmos are able to communicate in "s3-compatible" manner during the storage server creation process (see attachment) it seems to be an easy thing to establish the HW-compatibility between NBU und EMC/Atmos... The connection fails during the "s3-volume handling" when creating a volume (bucket)... 

"15:45:58.285 [23422] <16> dsm_create_diskvolume: RDSM has encountered an STS error: createDiskVolume
15:45:58.285 [23422] <16> dsm_create_diskvolume: ServiceException: method=createDiskVolume():995 class=RemoteDiskServiceMgr service=RemoteDiskService host=hellboy errorDomain=STS errorCode=2060017 errorText=createDiskVolume
15:45:58.287 [23422] <2> nbdevconfig: operation returned status = 11
15:45:58.287 [23422] <16> DevConfigCLI::analyzeOp: failed to create disk volume, system call failed"

Greetings,

Andreas Brosig

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

I have no information about such roadmap.

It is better to talk with Symantec sales, or post Enhancement Request following TECH145742.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH145742

MathieuCharbonn
Not applicable

Did you manage to get it to work properly?

I'm trying to do the same thing but I cannot get Netbackup to connect to the Atmos using the ATT plugin. I get an error system call failed

Thanks!