cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Drives Down

Kisad
Level 5

Hello All

I am facing an issue with four drives on my master server. All the four drives aere in DOWN state. I checked with robtest had found that the drives had stuck tapes in them but when i tried to move them out manualy i got a message that "medium not present". So i had the datacentre guy take a look a the drives physically, he removed the tapes from the drives. After this the drives again went down and again robtest showed the same thing but this time the datacentre guy reported that there were no tapes in the drives. I also tried to unload the tapes from the drives but got an error "Opening /dev/rmt/2cbn, please wait...
Error - cannot open /dev/rmt/2cbn (I/O error)"

I had the tape drives reset but still the drive are down. Can anyone please suggest what esle could be done.Will recycling netbacup services on the master help.

P.S
------
the /var/adm/messages is disable on the master , hence i couldnt check for any tape related errors in it. Three of the drives are shared.

Thanks
Kisad

4 REPLIES 4

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified
1. Try the GUI or web-interface of your library to check the state of these 4 drives. Using this approach, you might also check out whether they really contain tapes.
2. Run cfgadm -al -o show-FCP_dev and then sgscan on the master server to make sure that both OS and NetBackup can see these 4 drives.
3. Try to reset these drives  by either library hardware (usually a button on a drive) or  Netbackup itself (vmoprcmd -resetbyname <Drive_name>).  

Giroevolver
Level 6
I have had a similar issue to this and it was the tapes that caused the issue.

Some one had filled the library with tapes but there were tapes in the drives trying to eject. They couldn't eject as the slot they were ejecting to had a tape in it.

Try and inventory your robot and make sure the infomation is physicaly correct then bring the drives back online and see what happens. If you havent done an inventory on the robot Netbackup will still think the tapes are in the drives/robot hense your drive going down as it can eject them.

rj_nbu
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
what is the output of the scan command ?

-Rajeev

Anonymous
Not applicable
Read this forum posting if this is relevant:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/downd-tape-drive-due-very-long-waiting-time

Also maybe there is a SCSI reservation on the drives. If you got SSO media servers then you need to get SCSI reservation released.

On the master

# vmoprcmd -crawlreleasebyname <drive_name>

You could also maybe install the 'nbsu' utility available and run the support script and maybe check the output log files to see if you can see any problems with the devices:

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/00_index.htm