cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape eject with 7.0.1

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

(not the same problem jim dalton mentioned)

I upgraded my  master server (aix) from 6.5.5 to 7.0.1.

when I did the eject of my tapes (from the gui) I would then say NO to the continue.

In 6.5.5 this would leave the tapes in the MAP but still update the database that the tapes were in standalone status.

Well on 7.0.1  when I say NO on the continue, it does leave the tapes in the the MAP but does not update the database.  So if you look at the gui it still shows them in slots.

If I then turn around and do the Inventory with update it will then move them to stand alone status.

Anybody else seen this issue with 7.0.x?

13 REPLIES 13

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/media-eject-issue-netbackup-7-01

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

There is an option to: 'Empty MAP before inventory' - on the right hand corner.

Would this solve your issue?

EDIT:

Andy, I see what you mean - Seems like there is a problem with Unix/AIX as I have not seen this with Windows...

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

But this would put them back in the library! 

I think Judy's referring to the fact that in 6.5.x, after the eject, if you said no to the continue then as the window closes it updates the GUI to reflect that the tapes are no longer in the library (& you don't have to physically empty the MAP first) - if you do this in NB7.0.1 then they appear to still be in the library until you inventory with update (can't comment directly as still on 6.5.4!). Somewhat perversely, if you said yes to the continue (in 6.5.x) then you'd have to physically empty the MAP beforehand otherwise it would put them back in the library!

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

but it is not the same as the other ticket.

Jim's issue is that if the tape is still busy he cannot do anything, where in 6.5 it would just give you and error and say it could not eject that one tape, but it would eject the rest and let you do a yes or a no.  Jim is saying that with the tape busy he is stuck and cannot do anything ( well that is the way I read it)

------

I am not getting stuck, it is just not updating the the database that those tapes are now standalone.

(and as Patel says - problem with UNIX/AIX  - I have had lots of issues with the upgrade in AIX - even found one point where the upgrade script extracts to and AIX53 dir, but the post install script tries to read from the AIX5 dir.... I had to link them to get it to install.  Not sure any of the upgrade was tested on AIX..surprise...)

So my issue is still why when I say NO to the continue does it NOT update the database.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

....... going to have to change that coffee!

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5

J.H. - track the file 'eject_list' in /usr/openv/volmgr/misc dir.

This file is used when an eject takes place - contains all media that is to be ejected.

This should be automatically deleted when inventory is completed. If not, a second inventory has a problem - then the file needs to be deleted and an inventory run. This is created on Robot Host.

Now, once in MAP, logically it should be in standalone and still appear in Netbackup as Netbackup has not yet 'sync'ed' it's database with the library. This is only done when a complete inventory is completed.

If you would do a comparison, without emptying the MAP you should still see the media in the slot from Netbackup and a mismatch from the library.

or, have I now strayed from the issue...

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

In 6.5 and all version before that I know of.

you do an eject.

When it has moved all the tapes to the MAP it asks if you want to continue.

If you say YES - but do NOT remove the tapes from the MAP - it will put all the tapes BACK into the library.

However

If you say NO - it will leave the tapes in the MAP and UPDATE the database saying those tapes are now standalone.

----

My issue now at 7.0.1

I did the eject and I said NO.  It should have left the tapes in the MAP ( which it did) and it should have updated the tapes to standalone - which it did not.

I even trided a refresh all, and closed the gui and re-opened it.  The tape were still showing in the library slots.  I had to do a seperate inventory for it to update the location of the tapes.

This is not the way it worked in 6.5.x  so I am trying to see if anybody else - mostly AIX people - if they see the same thing

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5

I got you J.H -

I will give this a test tomorrow and post results with Suse as well..

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

When did that appear in the OP Judy, or did I miss it? wink

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

May be it help you.

May be the Tape media has the correct status and Netbackup just refresh the status of media after inventory. Did you try to check the status on Tape Library GUI ? not in the NBU GUI.

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5

Could not get to the site with 7.01, but had a go at a site with 6.5.6 -

This site's got Solaris 10 -

I did not encounter any issues here - 6.5.6 works as it should....

"I did the eject and I said NO.  It should have left the tapes in the MAP ( which it did) and it should have updated the tapes to standalone" - works as expected....

I guess we now need admins with AIX servers to lend a hand... Sorry Judy

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

had it in the opening question.

(need glasses?)wink

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

cheeky