cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape encryption

Anthony_SQB
Level 2
Hello,

In my company we are using Netbackup 6.5 and we would like to encrypt datas on our tapes, I searched on the Internet and I found KMS et MSEO (software solutions) but I don't exactly know how theses solutions works, is there any documentation about MSEO (I haven't found something on Symantec's website). Do you know any hardware solution too ? (we are just looking for solutions for now, hard or soft it doesn't matter).

Thanks for your answers.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

client/meso/kms included in netbackup

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/encryption-options-netbackup

here is a 10 minute video that goes over client encryption/mseo/kms(which is tape drive)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

David_McMullin
Level 6
We have Decru hardware devices on the wire between our VTL and our robot, and it encrypts at wire speed, i.e. we see no performance impact whatsoever. The only limits are caused by the port speed on the hba or switches.

We had an incredible and annoying array of problems when we started - mostly caused by mixing hosts - Solaris and HP apparently do not coexist well, but once we put the VTL in between and only have the one OS involved we have smooth sailing.

We also use the decru to encrypt some of our disks, so our data at rest is encrypted.

We do have a saying - "do NOT taunt the Decru" - because of the issues in the past...

rjrumfelt
Level 6

KMA/KMS encryption solution, and we have been very happy with it.

It is a hardware solution, with 2 small sun servers clustered.  The drawback to this however, is that I believe it only is available for fairly large libraries, such as an SL8500.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

client/meso/kms included in netbackup

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/encryption-options-netbackup

here is a 10 minute video that goes over client encryption/mseo/kms(which is tape drive)