cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporary Change of Master Server

MikeHi
Level 2

Hi,

A backup master server is temporarily unavailable, so I'd like to temporarily back up the client from a different master server.  Tried adding the client in the GUI but the master cannot see the client (error 41).

So while I know how to set up a new client from a master server (download client sw etc.) what should I do in this case when all the software's already installed everywhere?   Do I have to re-push the client software to the client?

It seems to me everything's already in place except the master doesn't know the client server's login - but I can't find any place to enter that.

(Each server can ping the other.)

If someone can point me in the correct direction that would be great.

Thanks,

-MikeHi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

First thing needed is network comms: 

Forward and reverse hostname lookup between server and client.

Easiest is to add entries to /etc/hosts for one another on server and client.

To ensure temp master re-reads hosts entry, refresh host cache:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache

Edit /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf on client and add another SERVER entry for the temp master.

If client needs to do agent/db backups, this entry must be 1st SERVER entry to indicate that this is the master.

You will now be able to add a policy on temp master for the client and test connection/backup.

Oh! If there is a firewall, ensure port 13724 is open in both directions.
Port 1556 if 7.0.1 or later.

Create bpcd log folder (/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpcd) on the client to troubleshoot connection problems.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6

First thing needed is network comms: 

Forward and reverse hostname lookup between server and client.

Easiest is to add entries to /etc/hosts for one another on server and client.

To ensure temp master re-reads hosts entry, refresh host cache:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache

Edit /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf on client and add another SERVER entry for the temp master.

If client needs to do agent/db backups, this entry must be 1st SERVER entry to indicate that this is the master.

You will now be able to add a policy on temp master for the client and test connection/backup.

Oh! If there is a firewall, ensure port 13724 is open in both directions.
Port 1556 if 7.0.1 or later.

Create bpcd log folder (/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpcd) on the client to troubleshoot connection problems.

MikeHi
Level 2

Hi Marianne,

I worked through your list and the temporary master server can now communicate with the client. 

Many thanks!!!

-MikeHi

Marianne
Level 6