cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Perfect NB 6.5 Server?

DanTheMan_2
Level 4

I've decided to ditch the old NB 5.1 server and go for a brand new 6.5 server.  This means ditching the old catalogue and creating new volume groups. etc, etc.

I will be running NB 6.5 on Windows Server 2003 SP2.  Have 8 x 146G HDD to play with as well, connected to a tape library with 2 drives.  Ideally, I want to use that HDD space for disk staging.

So what's the best way to set this thing up?  Any special considerations for design of the catalogue?  Partitioning of the disks?

Basically, what would you do in my position? 

:)

3 REPLIES 3

DanTheMan_2
Level 4
Anyone?

Grumpy_Monkey
Level 2

I had a similar setup.

2 x 80GB Raid 1 - System

4 x .5Tb Drives. Raid 5 - Disk staging

I was $$ restricted so I used SATA to get the extra capacity for online images.

C:\ 20GB - system partition

E:\ 54GB - system data

F:\ 1.4 TB - Backup images

I always split my system drive in 2 so that i can use the end of the drive for stoage of software and patches.

I also moved my log files off the System partition to the system data partition so that it won't cause the sever to crash if i forget to delete old log files. I also move the catalog_dr_files to this drive.

Long term  I'm hoping to add additional storage so on the images drive i created 2 folders for images, 1 for daily backups, and one for my infinite backup which get staged of to tapes for 7 year retention.

This way I have enough images on disk that I can go back over 1 month.

Hope this helps.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

here is all what you need, but u need to read it all, is very good and will save you a lot of trouble.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/281842.htm

regards