cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshoot Drive Down issue

Velmabii
Level 4

Hi All,

I'm new here in Netbackup. Kindly help me out to fix this issue.

We are using Netbackup 7.5, in our environment both the master and media server are the same, we have 4 drives out of which 2 drives goes down frequently.

We had even tried to start up the drive manually but again its going down.

Kindly help me out in this issue, with the basic troubleshooting too..

54 REPLIES 54

Velmabii
Level 4

When I remove the VERBOSE line from vm.conf and if i start the drive comes up and after few minutes it goes down again

Velmabii
Level 4

SDO when i tried the follwing command "C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\bin\scan" i get drive details, like serial no, no.of drives, slots, media access ports.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What is logged in Event Viewer when you get this error?

Check System and Application log.

You may want to stop and restart NBU completely to ensure all services are running.
In CMD window, run this command from ...netbackup\bin :

bpdown -f -v

(Wait for all processes to stop)
Run 'bpps' command to confirm.

Use Services to stop Symantec Private Branch Exchange service.
Start Symantec Private Branch Exchange service.

Go back to CMD window and start NBU:

bpup -f -v

Run bpps to check if all processes are running.

Please copy the text output of bpup and bpps and post here.

Velmabii
Level 4

SDO & Marianne,

Really sry i'm new to netbackup, forgive me gor silly questions.

In drive control i could able to see Active, TLD

What do you mean by TLD??

Marianne
Level 6

You may want to download manuals and start reading... Links to manuals im Handy NBU Links in my signature. 
Start with NBU Admin Guide I in the NBU 7.5 collection of manuals.

TLD stands for Tape Library DLT. 
All SCSI and/or Fibre-attached robots fall in this catagory (and nothing really to do with DLT).

Active, TLD means the drive is UP and under control of the TLD robot/library.

Velmabii
Level 4

Hi Marainne, I was not abl to run the bpdown -f -v command.

Please find the attached file, which i got through by running

"Veritas\volmgr\bin\scan"

"netbackup\bin\bpps"

Velmabii
Level 4

Hi Marianne, thanks a lot, i'm sure i will and need to start reading NBU.

the problem for me is I worked in EMC Networker and I dont have any knowledge in symantec, I joined here just few days before and I had to fix this issue first, and I havent got any KT regarding the same and they dont even have any docs about the set up.... :(

Marianne
Level 6

You are missing a space in the command:
bpdown -f -v
You should only run bpdown and bpup when no backups or restores are running.

bptm and bpbrm processes are telling me that backups or restores are running.

scan and bpps output looks good.

Are drives staying UP (TLD) while backups/restores are running?

You now need to wait for another error which will DOWN problematic drive and then look in bptm log and Event Viewer for errors.

Genericus
   VIP   

Generally, drives will go down for a few general reasons - 

NB issues

OS issues

NB issues - NB has limits on how many errors it accepts before it will down drives. (this also applies to freezing tapes - you might want to see if you have frozen media). Sometimes tape/drive interactions don't do what you expect, like if you have a tape stuck in a drive, sometimes Netbackup will try to load tapes into it, and freeze the tapes it cannot load, instead of downing the drive. You can go to your backup error report and run it for the last few days and filter for "TapeAlert" - this will show what NetBackup thinks has been going wrong with your tapes/drives - be aware that cleaning request will show here.

Mostly, it will be OS issues - that is what all the commands already asked for do - tpautoconf -report_disc will show you if you have mismatched drive configurations, like your device paths have changed and the drive cannot be found under the original path. scan -tape will check the OS and display the devices found and the paths - you can cross check to ensure that the drives are there, and the paths match.

Tape / Drive issues are an exercise in deductive reasoning, you need to get the evidence and review for clues.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Velmabii
Level 4

Dear Marianne,

Please help me out to fix the error. I had gone through TECH64769 but it doesn't work.. I'm geeting daemon failed accepting connection (59) when I tried to clean the drive.

Barcode mentioned : CLNU11L1, Media type: HCART2 Media ID: NU11L1 Volume Pool: None

Marianne
Level 6
The media type is wrong - it is backup tape density and not cleaning type: Media type: HCART2 Have another look at my post of 29 Sept where I asked: " What is the Media type of the cleaning tape?" Please read carefully through that post again as it explains how cleaning tape media type/density must be of the correct cleaning type that matches the drive type.

Velmabii
Level 4

Dear Marianne,

To change the Media Type? do i need to right click on the volume -- create New volumes and follow the below article??

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH164472.html

OR

I can change the media type manually??

hcart2, the cleaning tape should be HC2_CLN (1/2 inch cleaning tape 2).

Velmabii
Level 4

Dear Marianne,

Is this the right command to modify the Media type?

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmchange -new_mt  <HC2_CLN> -m <NU11L1> 

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

More or less, you just have the media type wrong, it shouold be hcart2_clean

So ...

vmchange -new_mt  hcart2_clean -m <mediaid of tape>

Velmabii
Level 4

Dear Martin,

Could you please help me out in the exact path?

is the below path is right?

<installed path>\Volmgr\bin\vmchange -new_mt HC2_CLN -m NU11L1

Marianne
Level 6

Yes. vm commands are in Volmgr\bin.

Best to create a barcode rule so that all new tapes starting with CLN will automatically be added with correct density and type when performing Inventory after the media is added to the library for the first time (as per the TN that you found : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH164472 )
To re-add the tape via Barcode Rule and Inventory, you will need to delete existing CLN tapes.

Velmabii
Level 4

Dear Marianne,

Could you please assist, my understanding is right?

In noon pool i can able to find the cleaning medias.

- in that select the media eg: NU11L1 right click -- delete

- and to add it again i need to refer the http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH164472 )

Marianne
Level 6

Correct.

Either use vmchange or delete existing cleaning tapes, then in Inventory GUI add Barcode Rule in Advanced Options, then Update to run the Inventory and add cleaning tapes with correct density and pool.

Velmabii
Level 4

Dear Marianne,

When i tried to add the barcode rule and once i click start to update i'm getting the below error.

Robot inventory failed: unable to open robotic path (201)

Velmabii
Level 4

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH33182.html

According to the above artical, in my environment backup server has been rebooted, is this may the issue?

If yes.. can I reboot the TL and check?