cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

True Image Restore Question

mlacount
Level 4
We use TIR/w Move Detection set in all policies with a 2 week retention.1 full backup Sunday/ Diff-inc Mon-Sat.

Sun1-Mon1-Tue1-Wed1-Thur1-Fri1-Sat1-Sun2-Mon2-Tue2-Wed2-Thur2-Fri2-Sat2

If Sun1(Full) was manually expired early , how does TIR handle the restore of Mon1-sat1? (originally thought that these differentials were dependant on the previous full.
what if there is no previous Full). Saw a few postings on other sites that stated you would only need the most recent full in this case. Is this accurate? Does the tir_info directory on the client contain what is needed? I'm lost on how TIR functions.....

Any help or documentation on this would be much appreciated...Already looked through the .pdf's. with little to go on...Is there any other documentation out there?
3 REPLIES 3

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
http://support.veritas.com/docs/280022
If the True Image Restore information from the immediately previous backup has been pruned or compressed, subsequent synthetic backups complete with Status Code 0 (successful), but fail to capture all files for the backup.

mlacount
Level 4
So this is a manual effort? I would have to copy :
V_TEST_1125345398_INCR.f
V_TEST_1125345399_FULL.f

and run cat_convert to retain the integrity of the previous Full so that the proceeding incrementals (in regards to restore) can be successful...
Am I way off base on this? Sorry for not totally understanding how TIR functions.

Is V_TEST_1125345399_FULL.f an actual image? Seen .f , just didn't know what it stood for.

Scenario: 1 Full backup on a client= 100GB. I run TIR/w Move detection.
6 differentials run thru the week- with a daily rate of change of 10%.

So, I would figure that the differential would be 10GB. But my true image incrementals are approx. 30GB in size. What accounts for the extra 20GB?

Once again, I apologize for all the questions on this subject. Just want to be able to understand TIR as much as possible because I'm getting drilled at work.

Dennis, thanks for the info.

-Mike

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Yes that is an image or at least part of one.
The Difference is the inc only has the changes from the previous inc or full, these backups only look at a single point in time. the syn has all possible changes plus, I think, a little bit of overhead.