cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Backup our 1st 64-bit Windows server

zjamez
Level 3
We are running NetBackup 6.0MP5 on a Windows Server 2003 – Enterprise Edition – SP2. I have recently added our first 64-bit Windows server to my Veritas backup schedule. I have not yet gotten a good backup. We are running encryption which seemed to push fine to the client. We are backing up to disc (then later duplication moves it to tape). Below you will find the errors that I have been seeing in my attempts to back this thing up. I am hoping there is just a step I might be missing because it’s 64-bit. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks!
-          James

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8/13/2009 6:21:33 PM - requesting resource Disc-Near_Store
8/13/2009 6:21:33 PM - requesting resource Veritas-Server-01.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.FRAUD-01
8/13/2009 6:21:33 PM - requesting resource Veritas-Server-01.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.File_Systems_All
8/13/2009 6:21:34 PM - granted resource Veritas-Server-01.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.FRAUD-01
8/13/2009 6:21:34 PM - granted resource Veritas-Server-01.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.File_Systems_All
8/13/2009 6:21:34 PM - granted resource Disc-Near_Store
8/13/2009 6:21:38 PM - started process bpbrm (6924)
8/13/2009 6:21:41 PM - connecting
8/13/2009 6:21:42 PM - connected; connect time: 00:00:01
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A read of a file or socket failed. Possible causes include:
* I/O error reading from the file system.
* Read of an incomplete or corrupt file.
* Socket read failing. A socket read failure can be caused by a network problem or a problem with the process that is writing to the socket.
* A problem specific to NetBackup Advanced Client (see recommended actions).
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You said you are running NetBackup 6.0MP5??
Then you cannot install 6.5 on the client - it's NOT supported. There is 6.0 x64 software available.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Marianne
Level 6
Which NBU binaries did you install on the client?
Did you use the 64-bit NetBackup Windows X64 install media?
I've seen status 13 when 32-bit binaries were installed.

Android
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
What operating system exactly is the client? Are you sure you put the correct client software on the client?  If this is an Itanium-64 processor you will need a IA-64 client.  There are a few things to consider but lets start with the specifics on OS and hardware paltform.  

zjamez
Level 3
The Client is Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 - Standard x64 Edition - Service Pack 2. Under device manager it lists an ACPI Mulitprocessor x64-based PC). Under Processors it has eight - Intel Xeon CPU x5365 @ 3.00GHz.

I installed Verits NetBackup Client 6.5. I ran the setup.exe under the x64\PC_Clnt\x64\ folder after extracting locally.
I guess I'm not 100% sure I have loaded the correct client. After extracting the .zip file, there are about 5+ different setup.exe files or Veritas Netbackup.msi files...   it makes it hard for me to feel sure I loaded the right one.

I first tried pushing the 32-bit client from my server and that came back with an error. Would attempting to push the 32-bit first have left behind some ugly registry modifications that might need cleaning up?

I do not know how to tell which NBU binaries I installed.

Marianne
Level 6
You said you are running NetBackup 6.0MP5??
Then you cannot install 6.5 on the client - it's NOT supported. There is 6.0 x64 software available.

MattS
Level 6
I think what Marianna means is that your master is 6.0MP5 (or was that a typo?), and your master needs to be at the same revision as your client or higher.  Your client cannot be higher than your master server.

Android
Level 6
This is exactly where I was headed with my question.  Take not that the 6.0 version does not have a 64 bit client unless the hardware platform is the Itanium,  then you need the IA-64 bit.  Otherwise you will need to install the 6.0 32-bit windows client and patch it appropriately. 

Dont forget to mark the solution if you got what you needed.

zjamez
Level 3
ok....    am I hearing that in order to backup a 64-bit (that is NOT Itanium); I need to upgrade my Master server to 6.5?
I do not recall seeing a download for a 64-bit Windows 6.0 client.

MattS
Level 6
Yes, your master needs to be at or higher version than the client.

If you dont want to upgrade your master to 6.5, you need to install the 32bit windows verion of 6.0 client.

zjamez
Level 3
...but the 32-bit version of 6.0 would not install on my 64-bit Windows server. It was not that cooperative.  :o(

MattS
Level 6
What errors? Did it say it was not compatible? I've had issues in the past installing through Remote Desktop sessions, try connecting with the /admin or /console switch and be sure to run setup.exe and not the .msi file.

Android
Level 6
The 32-bit client is what you should be using on your 64-bit server in NetBackup 6.0 (again unless the hardware platfrom is Itanium).  So please elaborate on "not that cooperative".  This wasy we can try to determine what problems you are having with the client install. 

Another point is are you trying to isntall the client software with a push from the master or are you installing the software locally fro media.  I have found (especially in older versions)  trying to push the software from the master to Windows clients is not always smooth and sometimes you're better off installing locally from media.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
there is this
Maintenance Pack NB_60_5_M.winnt.x64.exe provides fixes to the Veritas NetBackup (tm) Enterprise Server / Server 6.0 on Windows XP/2003 X64 server and clients. It also contains fixes for NetBackup Add-on products and Database Agents.

seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290388.htm

but yo have to get the 6.0 from file connect ( they don't open the base cd's to just anybody - want to make sure you pay for a license - talk to your sales rep for access  fileconnect.symantec.com)  or if you have the original cd's you should be able to find it.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
You don't need FileConnect for this one.  The base client for x64 for 6.0 was released at 6.0 MP2 and can be found here:

Maintenance Pack NB_CLT_60_2_M.winnt.x64.exe provides fixes to the Veritas NetBackup (tm) Enterprise Server / Server 6.0 on Windows 2003 AMD64/EM64T Clients 
 http://support.veritas.com/docs/282644

After you install the client (assuming that succeeds!) I recommend applying MP5 to bring your client in line with your master.  J. already provided THAT link above, but here it is again:

Maintenance Pack NB_60_5_M.winnt.x64.exe provides fixes to the Veritas NetBackup (tm) Enterprise Server / Server 6.0 on Windows XP/2003 X64 server and clients. It also contains fixes for NetBackup Add-on products and Database Agents. 
 http://support.veritas.com/docs/290388

Good luck!

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
did not know that - must be why I could not find one prior to mp2- goo info

zjamez
Level 3

Well...   based on what you guys are telling me; it looks like I have a compatibility issue between my Veritas Server and my Veritas Clients. I saw on the Veritas Support site that I can downgrade my client lisc; but I'm not sure I want to do that. Can I upgrade it without charge later?
Can I upgrade my Master Veritas Server now so that my 6.5 clients can work; and then upgrade all my 6.0 clients at my leisure? Can the Master be newer than the clients?

Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp?

Android
Level 6
You can upgrade your server from 6.0 to 6.5 with the correct licenses, these can either be purchased or they are provided to you by Symantec at no charge if you have a service contract in place with them (same for client licenses). 

Yes you can have you master server at a level higher than your clients.  6.0 clients will work with a 6.5 master server. 

zjamez
Level 3
Thank you all for your input - I have finally scheduled the upgrade of my master server.

Wish me luck!