cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nbjm unable to access the storage unit

mubarack_s
Level 6

Hi,

In our environment I configured the storage unit and it was working well for the past two months. But by yester i am getting the this error while backup: nbjm unable to access storage unit. I donno what to do.can u help me on this. we r using solaris as os.Is there any thing am i need to do in hostproperties on master and client.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stumpr2
Level 6
name resolution needs to be checked. Be careful about short names and FQDN usage. You can use traceroute/tracert and bptestbpcd from/to master/media. check both sides. DNS problems sometimes do not show up until the server that is being used by NetBackup is flushed.

# bptestbpcd -help
Usage: bptestbpcd [-host hostname] [-client clientname]
        [-connect_options 0|1|2 0|1|2 0|1|2|3]
        [-wait_to_close seconds]
        [-verbose] [-M server]

on the master server run
bptestbpcd -client $YOURMEDIASERVER -verbose

on media server run
bptestbpcd -client $YOURMASTERSERVER -verbose

and of course check for any recent firewall/gateway/router changes.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Have you verified that drives are UP (TLD) in device monitor?
Have you verified that drives are accessible from O/S? What does sgscan display?
Any errors in /var/adm/messages?

mubarack_s
Level 6
hi,

this is the o/p of sgscan... all the drives are in up condition. but  the policy is not connecting  the storage units.

/dev/sg/c0tw500104f000ba2b48l0: Tape (/dev/rmt/0): "HP      Ultrium 4-SCSI"
/dev/sg/c0tw500104f000ba2b4bl0: Tape (/dev/rmt/2): "HP      Ultrium 4-SCSI"
/dev/sg/c0tw500104f000ba2b4el0: Tape (/dev/rmt/1): "HP      Ultrium 4-SCSI"
/dev/sg/c0tw500104f000ba2b51l0: Tape (/dev/rmt/3): "HP      Ultrium 4-SCSI"

mubarack_s
Level 6
Hi ,

this is the error I'm getting while backup

"The master or the media server tries to access the client, but the client does not recognize the server as a valid server" error no:59

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

from the console open up client properties for the client that is having issues
check the "servers" list
your master server and any server you run the console from should be on the top window
all media servers need to be in the bottom window... here is where I think your problem is, I don't think you have the media server listed on the client.

mubarack_s
Level 6
Hi,

In ready tab of drive in console it is showing "No".When I tried to up the drive its is throughing error lkie "unable to connect oprd from media servers".

Marianne
Level 6
Seems you have a connectivity problem between the master and media server(s).
If you are using DNS for host name lookup, verify that forward and reverse lookup is functioning properly.
Reverse lookup is extremely important as master and media servers (as well as clients) need to resolve incoming connection requests from an IP address to a hostname. This hostname must be present in the SERVER list.
If DNS is not functioning properly, add hosts entries on master, media servers and clients.

Stumpr2
Level 6
name resolution needs to be checked. Be careful about short names and FQDN usage. You can use traceroute/tracert and bptestbpcd from/to master/media. check both sides. DNS problems sometimes do not show up until the server that is being used by NetBackup is flushed.

# bptestbpcd -help
Usage: bptestbpcd [-host hostname] [-client clientname]
        [-connect_options 0|1|2 0|1|2 0|1|2|3]
        [-wait_to_close seconds]
        [-verbose] [-M server]

on the master server run
bptestbpcd -client $YOURMEDIASERVER -verbose

on media server run
bptestbpcd -client $YOURMASTERSERVER -verbose

and of course check for any recent firewall/gateway/router changes.

Will_Restore
Level 6
... is normal status in Device Manager, column Ready when the drive is not allocated to an active job. 

mubarack_s
Level 6
Hi,

Actually there is some connectivity problem. Now I changed the setting Now its working fine ... Thank you for all your setup...

I have one more question.I am new to this netbackup so only I am these asking this much of questions. Earlier In restore window it will display all the directory and files backedup. But now its showing directories only. Its not showing the file which are all backed up.can u guide me on this?

Marianne
Level 6
Please select a solution to your Storage Unit problem and mark it as such.
Then post a new question about the restore window.

mubarack_s
Level 6
Hi,

Some one has  changed the bp.conf  file in the media server. That is the is the problem with the backup. I used this command bptestbpcd -client $YOURMEDIASERVER -verbose  in the media server to connect the client then only , I found the connectivity problem. then  I changed the bp.conf file. its started working. thank u all for you help.