cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Find the backup for restoration in netbackup 5.1 MP4

NBFREAK
Level 4
Hi Folks,

I am unable to find the successfull backup logs in the backup and restore archive..
in activity monitor logs im finding the completed job logs from 4-8th of this month. and unable to find the same logs for restoration in NB Admin console ----> report--->client backups and  in backup and restore archive..

all the catalog backups are fine.

Details :
Windows 2003
veritas netbackup 5.1 MP4
differential backups are missing :(

Please help

Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
1) With just one client or several? - is it possible that someone has manually expired one or two tapes (i.e. those for the 4th-8th)? Do you know which tapes were used & if so can you check the images on tape?

2) Any other backups visible for 'suspect' client(s)? - if not are you selecting correct policy type in BAR GUI?

NB catalog media is essentially a backup of the database, as such whether it is in the library or not will not affect what you can or can't see (unless you restore your full NetBackup environment from one!) as it is the database you are interrogating initially when restoring images.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
Just because the jobs display in he activity monitor, it doesn't mean the backup still exists. Check the retension level in the policy configuration.

NBFREAK
Level 4
3 weeks of retention i set when policy was created.
Now last week catalog media not present in the tape library.. can i insert last week catalog and check if i can see the last week backup?

Please advice

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
1) With just one client or several? - is it possible that someone has manually expired one or two tapes (i.e. those for the 4th-8th)? Do you know which tapes were used & if so can you check the images on tape?

2) Any other backups visible for 'suspect' client(s)? - if not are you selecting correct policy type in BAR GUI?

NB catalog media is essentially a backup of the database, as such whether it is in the library or not will not affect what you can or can't see (unless you restore your full NetBackup environment from one!) as it is the database you are interrogating initially when restoring images.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I got you're first post wrong, I read it as the backup was 6-8 month old and not from the 6-8th this month.  My bad - Sorry.

I think you are mixing two things. The Netbackup catalog contain information of backup made, expiration, ownership etc etc. The log generated by Netbackup under [install_path]netbackup/logs are something different. They are only for debug and as such does not contain something important. They are also not backup as part of the catalog backup.

The catalog will not show somthing else just because you insert last week media into the robot.

Don't tell me I got it wrong again ;)

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
of your reading of the O/P! ;)

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
You said you can see the finished jobs in activity monitor.
Go read the details and find what tape it was written to.
then run the images on tape report and see if the images for that server on that date are still reading as valid on that media.
if the image as expired or if all images on that tape have expired and it has been over written you may be in trouble.

if the tape has not been over written you can try an import on that tape and get back the expired image of the server you are missing.

Stumpr2
Level 6
The differentials are missing?

Make sure that you use a date range for selecting images.
Use the date of the full backup as the starting date and use todays date for the ending date.
Change the view from "show most recent backup" to "show ALL backups"